Old 09-08-2011   #1
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
Best raft size/brand for multiday family trips

My wife is prego with our second child, so I'm going to stop pushing rubber all summer and get a real job. But my wife thinks it's a great idea to buy a raft for personal trips. YES!

I'm looking for a new boat that will fit 4 people (2 adults, 2 small children) and occasionally 1-2 dogs on multiday trips in the desert southwest (Westwater, Cataract, Deso/Greys, Yampa, Grand, etc.)

What size would be best? I'm thinking 16 ft would be perfect. Shorter/longer??

Also, what brand/material would be best? I've paddle-guided PVC/Urethane boats under 14' and love them, but also paddled/rowed bigger Hypalon boats and like them too. I'm leaning towards a NRS E-160 because I can get a great deal on a new one, but am open to other brands too. I really like Aires, but am concerned about the silt factor. Thoughts?

WindInTheWillows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #2
Kayenta, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2006
Go for it!

You just opened up a can of worms with this one, so I will be short and sweet.

You could/can/has been done/will be further raged argument for hypalon vs. goes on all day!

The point is, there is no perfect answer.

Whatever works for you, works for you. I have a 14 ft Otter, am an NRS guy myself and would tell you to go for that 16 foot E series if you can get a great deal on it.

That being said, a 16 foot AIRE, or Maravia or Sotar or Hyside would all rock and do the job awesome.

This can co back and forth forever. Whatever you get, I bet you'll love.

bucket52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #3
Lawson, Colorado
See thread on the Aire Trib 14' which has been fine for us. That said, if you can get a deal on another boat...

Silt: only once have I had a lot of silt...Deso 2010 run. Got home and cleaned the boat, opened the floor, and pulled about 20lbs out. That said, I never noticed any problems at all while on the river. Keep in mind you are talking 20lbs in the floor of a loaded 1000lb+ boat. Other than that I've only had minor amounts: usually I only clean the floor end of season, but after a week on Deso I figured a full clean would be good.

2 adults, 2 kids I think 1 week would be fine. Longer...maybe 16'. We like the 14' since you can put in the thwarts and run smaller stuff like CC.
eze420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #4
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003

Yeah, I definitely am not interested in starting a flame war here. All of the above boats are good quality and I'll be happy with any of them. Of course everybody has strong feelings about what they own.
WindInTheWillows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #5
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by WindInTheWillows View Post
I really like Aires, but am concerned about the silt factor. Thoughts?
I have an AIRE 156R and live in Utah, so mostly get out on the Colorado and Green in S. Utah. So far I have had no issues with silt in the boat. I opened it up to check the bladder after a few trips and there was basically nothing in there dirt/silt-wise.

I debated long and hard between the 14 and 16 ft versions. I finally chose the 16 because I always seem to have a random friend want to hop on last minute. The extra room has proved to be a good choice so far. That said, a 14 would probably be a more fun ride through a lot of rapids, but I have had a great time with the 156R so far.

I have also rowed NRS and Maravias, which I liked very much as well. I was going to buy a Maravia originally but ended up getting the AIRE simply because I found a killer deal. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any of those brands.
Pcdc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #6
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
seems like the 16' would be the size to do multiday with the family and friends and dogs. my E140 sometimes feels kinda small with 3 people and gear on it. my buddy's 14' aire seems even smaller but he does fine with 4 people and 2 dogs. personally i'd feel clausterphobic.
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #7
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
My 14' Hyside likes living in Colo Springs and taking wifey and me downriver. A friend with two grown kids got an NRS 16er. That suits him better.
David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #8
If I were starting over on a family boat I would go to a 16' sotar or maravia diminishing tube boat in a second. 2 adults and 2 kids can get tight on a 14 and more room for gear is always good. Fortunately, we mainly do multi boat trips where the gear can get spread out and people boat hop or IK a lot.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #9
Bayfield, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
This is it!

16ft Avon Professional w/ $1250 in Clavey Store Credit
ngeoym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011   #10
C. Springs, Colorado
NRS E series are mighty nice boats. I'd personally recommend a 14' Avon from the late 90's or newer. I like storing my boats rolled so it's Hypalon for me. A older 16' Hyside or Avon would be cool too. But if you have a good deal on an won't be sorry.

caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote