Old 09-09-2011   #21
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
You might want to try rolling an aire boat. I agree maravia boats are much harder to roll due to the thick armor coating

Thing i really like about aire is its quick to repair on the river (not that i have had to and i have had to patch a tear on an nrs boat)

Things i dont like is it seems i really need to unzip the boat and let it dry out thoroughly if it cant stay inflated at takeout

Also something you may consider: i've got both an 18' and 14' cat. The 18' i've found i can support four others for up to a week trip (no dogs) if we dont get crazy with gear. If you were to go with a similar setup with two piece frame you could possibly config with 18' tubes for a expedition and 14' tubes as a playboat

I think with the early spring hot deals i got both sets of tubes for about $4k, which is quite a bit cheaper than a E-160 (you will need to spend more for a frame on a cat and i'd bet my loaded down leopard is more stable and more manueverable than a 16' self bailer (but harder to row in wind)

If you are interested send me a pm and i'll send some pics of my boat fully loaded

Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #22
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
@ Floater- Nope! it's not just you. When you buy a boat made in China you can't bicth about the US economy becuse you have just become a part of the problem! Its like not voting and bitching about the government.

Originally Posted by idahofloater View Post
Avon and NRS build killer rubber boats, but you'd be sending your dollars over sea's. Maybe it's just me, but pvc or hyplon, I'd make damn sure that an american worker got paid to build the boat. Boats built in the usa are every bit as good as anything made in China or the UK or any where else for that matter.

dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011   #23
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
If you can get a deal on 16 footer, take it while you can. That's all you need to know. They aremall good boats and will float you down the river.
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011   #24
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1994
If you can get a deal on it, I agree go with it! I went from a 14' vanguard to a 15' nrs e series this past spring. Couldn't be happier with the quality of boat, length and extra width. I wanted a 15 because I felt it would give me the best of both worlds. Being on the fork and CO (gws) area most of the time, it was a good size for my needs. for multi day trips you'll love it. If your doing mainly day trips, you may find it being a little big. Regardless though, I still say go for it if it's the on,y size you can get a deal on...
gwsdemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011   #25
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
If you are looking to save money on a new boat, now is the time to buy. Good prices on all the brands. Great prices right now on Rocky Mountain Rafts while supplies last. Hyside and Maravia are on sale now. Aire go on sale Oct 1 but we can put them into great package deals now. Check out our fall clearance prices on, and give us a call to check out availabilities and package deals.

Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote