Mountain Buzz banner

Best place to buy dry suits right now

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Electric-Mayhem 
#1 ·
Looking for a good deal on the GorTex Kokatat dry suit. Found them for about $780 on Amazon and Backcountry, seems like a good deal. Is there better one out there right now?

#5 ·
Anyone have qualms with the Supernova Angler Paddling Suit? I'm thinking of going with that over the GFER. I'll be using this for 80% fishing in the winter/spring, 10% on the GC, and 10% running whitewater in my raft. If the neoprene neck bugs me, I can always glue in a rubber gasket. My main concern is with the flat rubber zipper over the regular metal zipper.

#11 ·
I have the Gore Tex angler suit and a Meridian Gore Tex suit as well. The angler suit is a lighter weight material which in my opinion is a lot more comfortable. I haven't had a swim in the angler but the neck gasket is pretty tight and should be fine for anything except kayaking.
Dry so far in regular rafting splashes. I wouldn't worry about the zipper failing, this type of zipper is used in quite a few other applications and Kokatat doesn't make any junk. The plus is the zippers are a lot easier to close.

#13 ·
I'll second (or third or fourth) the Kokatat Hydrus Angler. I bought one before my February/March Grand Canyon trip and it did great. I used to kayak a ton, and always hated the latex neck gaskets on them. The Neoprene neck gasket is very comfortable, and as long as you remember to tighten the draw string it stays pretty dry too. I did a full extreme test as seen here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yboQwu9unM

There was a bit of water in it afterward, but only a tiny bit. I wouldn't say its an every day extreme duty drysuit, but it does the job for occasional use and has strong Cordura Nylon panels in all the right places so it should last. All I needed on that trip was the drysuit and a Polartec Fleece Union Suit (also from Kokatat) and I stayed warm. I've survived a couple of different cold weather snowy days with just that combo without getting cold at all.

#15 ·
I actually meant to recommend exactly that route to you and mention that I got mine with the same deal. Its cool to see that they started making a Goretex version too. I probably would have gotten that one if they had it a few months ago when I ordered mine. I'm happy with the price and build of the Hydrus version though, so I'll keep using that till it wears out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.