Old 01-16-2016   #21
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Do kind of wonder if the pvc versus hypalon, is kinda a regional thing, like running your cat with the frame forward, I actually see some advantages to that as well, some times you can actually learn a lot from how other people do things, incorporate what makes sense to you, and end up with somethin' better.

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016   #22
Cave Creek, Arizona
Originally Posted by zcollier View Post
The PVC boats are cheaper because they are made overseas AND because PVC material is the least expensive to purchase and work with.

AIRE uses both PVC and Urethane for their outer layer fabric. You can choose which material you want. The Urethane outer fabric is more expensive than the PVC outer fabric.
True that. Sorry I thought you meant they did it the same way Maravia does with PVC that is then sprayed with Urethane.

To OP, some places rent or demo boats. If you can, try a few out before you buy. All top brands are high quality, but as mentioned they all have different features that you really won't know if you like them or not until you try them.

InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016   #23
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
You might check with aire about the 136dd I put some pics up of a couple weeks ago. It is designed for exactly what you are looking for. It is not currently a production model, but likely will be soon. I imagine if you called them they will build you one. I've heard they have had quite a bit of interest already, and they have the pattern made. It looks awesome in person!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	482.3 KB
ID:	10889  
mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016   #24
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
Mattman - I totally agree with you about regional differences and hypalon.

We use SOTAR boats for our Rogue River trips since the factory is 5 miles from our warehouse and we like to buy local equipment.

I just bought a new fleet of 9 new NRS hypalon boats for our operation on the Middle Fork of the Salmon. We roll boats every trip and fly them often so we've found is the best boat for the Middle Fork. Plus hypalon repair is pretty straightforward - and important factor for multi-day trips. NRS is making the best hypalon right now and these are VERY stiff boats.

Both Maravia and AIRE make really great boats too.

Zachary Collier
Northwest Rafting Company
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote