Old 07-21-2014   #1
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Best glue for drybox tops

Well I'm re rigging my trip boat and have decided to put some padding on my dryboxes. After much research I decided to use blue foam camp pads. I won't belabor all what I considered but in the end these $7 walmart 6' pads seemed to make more sense then the uber expensive options with marginal benefits. I Saw a guy getting off the MFS a few weeks back with these pads 3yrs on and that still looked reasonable. I was sold. Need to do 4 boxes

So (finally) my question is what glue to use assuming I'll be replacing and re glueing these pads probably ever 4-6yrs. I've used liquid nail before on a box which was a real pain to strip. Would 100% silicone be good enough? Any spray on product?

Also broke down for two engel deepblue 123 coolers. Best demeans ions for my boat /frame. Should I consider a top for those. If so what is there besides the $150 skid stuff engel sells?

Thanks, Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #2
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
3m makes a spray adhesive that works well. I used it on a seat that ran for years. It out lasted the blue walmart pad. Finally had to scrape any remaining pad off.

Skikbum66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #3
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Thanks for the recommendation. So is the blue foam a reasonable way to go?

washoe99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #4
I'm right 50% of the time
Paddling Since: 1977
Blue camp pad is fine. There are 2 types. The open cell and closed cell. Closed cell is lighter blue and not as strong. The navy / medium blue is what I used.
Use 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive. : Link to Amazon It is best to mask and spray. This stuff is a PITA to remove. Spray in well ventilated area.
brendodendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #5
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Damn near any glue will get the job done and if it starts to peel off give'er a touchup. I used contact cement and it worked fine. I don't trust myself with a spray.
Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #6
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have used the 3M Super 77 with mixed results. One dry box has foam still in place after about 3 years. The other dry box, the foam comes off every year. I'm trying the peel & stick textured mini-cell stuff from Cascade Outfitters on that dry box now. Expensive stuff though. My buddy swears by the 3M Super 77. His foam has been on his boxes forever.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #7
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
The 3M 77 can be a pita to apply perfectly. If you don't do it right, such as applying the foam too soon, or not coating both contact surfaces, and it will fail.

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #8
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
contact cement and done. I have used the water based type and the gnarly fumes type. I hate the smell but the gnarly one works the best. I don't even strip it all off when reapplying the new foam. I just get it smooth and sand it with an orbital on rough grit and go.

I think the foam from the pool supply places is best. You may already have the camping pads though. I like because it seems a little more dense and I get about five to six years out of it.. Good luck.
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #9
Carbondale, Colorado
Weldwood in the red can contact cement - will stand up to highway speeds for a decade, waterproof, used by whitewater canoeists to glue all kinds of foam to all kinds of crap for decades. I'm on my 2nd can. Cleans up perfect with MEK, no residue left. Get the closed cell foam puzzle floor tiles from Lowes. Just set up my drybox this way and really like it. Super 77 sucks, is expensive and makes a mess. Weldwood fumes make me happy.
watermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014   #10
Dillon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
sand it

Recommend contact cement. I've had a combo of closed and open blue Wal-mart foam on my dry box and cooler for 4+ years and it is in good shape. I don't regularly sit on them though (xtra insulation on cooler). I think one key is to sand the top of each before you apply the cement. After it is applied take a rasp and round all edges.

DanH is offline   Reply With Quote