Mountain Buzz banner

Best Front Passenger Seats -- Calling Pics

11K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  cnw1998 
#1 ·
Looking to add on some removable seats with backs on the front of my boat. I was thinking about having them bolt down to a plank. Is anyone out there using fixed seats up front with backs? or fishing seats? Fold-able? Padded or not?

Thanks for any pictures or tips - I am hoping to be able to get my aging parents out on the river a little longer (think ClassI-III)

All feedback welcome!

Bongo

#6 ·
Codycleves idea looks really comfortable but if you want something more temporary or adjustable you could go this route:

We've used these for my parents (and wife actually) for years and they all love them. It's just a really foldable stadium chair so I'm betting you could find something more supportive as well if needed. Just strap it to front deck.

#7 · (Edited)
It is really comfortable, I can attest to that.. It is fairly adjustable and not that permanent. it's two different pieces.. you have the bench piece that would be strapped over a bay. and then the backrest is a big U shapped piece of round pipe with a backrest attached to it.. it can easily be taken off with a turn of a wrench... if you have a single rail pipe frame you could use something like the first attached image to attach the back rest, only pointed up.. or if you have a double railed frame you could put a fitting like the second image on the inside rail. it goes on and off fast which is nice because its usually the bottom boat on the stack. you could even just add the backrest behind a front cooler.

Attachments

#8 ·
I made the front seat from high-density foam I got from the local fabric store (they said it was the kind used for boat cushions). It sits on a piece of marine plywood and it's connected to the frame with conduit clamps which work as a hinge. I covered it with some kind of ultra-suede stuff that is stapled onto the plywood. The raised pieces on the ends are beer couzies which also work as a pillow if your passenger wants a nap.

#11 ·
I have a front hatch made of HDPE, we use the same style stadium chairs that Elkhaven has, the straps to lock them to bleachers just barely fit around the front hatch, so they're pretty well stuck on. They also fold flat and don't interfere with the hatch opening at all. Cheap, relatively comfortable, and easy to swap out.

Attachments

#12 ·
Hi Bongo,

It kind of depends on your set up, are you running a dry box up front and need the seats to fit over the dry box, this would be a great option with the NRS High Back Seats that we also sell. I prefer the high back (personally) to the low back, it just hits me in a bad spot but I would ask your parents what is most comfortable for them before making that call. If you are over the drybox here are seat brackets that the NRS seats would fit too;

Cambridge Seat Bridge | Cascade River Gear
Randless High Back Seat | Cascade River Gear

Or if you are just running a cross bar up front NRS now has these fabulous Universal Seat Mounts that work great.

NRS Frame Universal Seat Mount | Cascade River Gear

I also completely agree with almortal, the Crazy Creek chairs are super comfortable and offer plenty of support without buying all the extra frame parts. It again will completely depend on your parents comfort though, these won't be strapped down to anything although you could run a strap along the bottom of them :D

Here is a link to the Crazy Creeks;

Crazy Creek Original Chair | Cascade River Gear

Let me know if I can help with anything! Kindly, Renee

#14 ·
Vehicle Boat Machine Watercraft Wheel

I've used fishing type folding front seats for 20+ years on my cat. NSR single post support. Love them as do my passengers. Been done a few class V and dozens of class IV with only one person ever falling out. Some people say the seat backs can break but I've never had it happen. A great ride and very exciting

#15 ·
High back swivel seats NRS

I put this together for multi night trips on the Deschutes and John Day river. The seats are mounted on NRS swivel bases, and the cross bar is also from them. Seat mount is rock solid, no movement. You attach the swivel base first, then mount the seat to the base. Bit of a pain because there is not much space between the seat and the base, but doable. For bigger water than the above you might would want to swap out for something a little lower. But since my passengers like their creature comforts this works well with the footie yoke.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.