Old 04-09-2009   #61
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Dolores - Check back around May 7 per the website. Sounds like 5/15-31 is still the plan though.

Link: Dolores Water Conservancy District

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
lmaciag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009   #62
Stoner, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
The upper Dolores (stoner stampede) flow jumped big today. You could run a kayak now. The basin snow pack is 87% of normal as of today. The wind has been evaporating a lot of snowpack and lake water though. There is a lot of dust on the snow too...that should mean a faster runoff. I think releases from May 15th-31st is pretty optimistic. McPhee has a long way to go before it's anywhere near full and the weed patches need water on the hot afternoons. I think the DWC has another boaters meeting coming up next week. The weather looks to be bringing some precip this way...we can hope.

Ikedub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009   #63
Crested Butte, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
RM Rafts opinion of Saturn Rafts(the dealer)Spoofing

If what happened is actually true, regarding spoofing by the Saturn Rafts dealer in Boise, I think the following quote sums it up.

There is no such thing as a minor lapse of integrity (Tom Peters. Author of In Search of Excellence)

Sorry to all about the redundancy of this post if you read the thread on "Saturn Rafts Busted Spoofing." But, a lot of people read and rely on the opinions of the experienced rafters who post to this forum so, as a Saturn Rafts dealer, I am compelled to respond on this thread also. Here is what I said on that particular thread. If you want to read more on this go to the "Saturn Rafts Busted Spoofing" thread.

"I'm not sure what precipitated this thread about the Saturn Rafts dealer in Boise. I have met Cody and know he believes in the product he is selling, as do I. I, however, am not fond of his advertising and have chosen a different path to that. I will remind everyone, once again, that Saturn Rafts is not the supplier or manufacturer of Saturn Rafts. He is a dealer for Boats To Go who is the distributor for Saturn Rafts. Keep what you think of the product and what you think of the dealer as 2 separate entities please.
We, RM Rafts, LLC (, are the exclusive dealer for Saturn Rafts in CO. We offer the same warranties, free delivery in the Denver area and low cost delivery throughout CO and the US. Our goal is to provide the rafting community with a quality, affordable product along with great customer service. What we won't, and don't, do is tell you that our 14' raft has an MSRP of $3500 (it doesn't), or that is is puncture proof (we all know that raft doesn't exist), or that our price is 70% off retail. I have never seen a Saturn for sale for $3500. We know you guys know your shit and we aren't trying to fool anybody with a bunch of over the top advertising. We believe the Saturn is a high quality raft that is VERY affordable and we offer it at a price below any other raft of similar quality. We will also beat any other price on the same raft. Everyone asks "what's the catch?" There isn't one. Great service, no BS, and the lowest prices are what we offer. We believe our customer is number one. We aren't a full service dealer in the sense we sell parts and repair boats. But, if you have a bad valve I will send you a new one, free. I have enough laying around for that. I have extra PVC on order that I will send a customer if he needs it for a repair. They don't supply a lot with the repair kit so I will keep some in stock. Give us a call anytime and we will give you honest answers to all your questions. If you are considering a used boat, take a look at our NEW boats. Commercial guys run their boats hard and turn them around every few years. Some are great buys and some are not. Buyer beware. Do some good research if you are buying used. I have a friend selling a 1 year old Hyside Outfitter for what was wholesale last year. A great buy if you want a Hyside but it will still set you back $3000+. If that's too rich for your blood but want to get on the river, give us a call. We'll treat you right. If you want a nice used Hyside, I'll give you his number.
RM Rafts will have a booth at FIBARK this year, the largest whitewater festival in CO and probably the whole USA! Come check out our products. We would love to meet, and learn, from all of you highly experienced rafters. Drop in and say hi. Thanks."
RMrafts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #64
Portland, Oregon
My only comment on this Saturn Mess is this:

If this is the type of tactics employed to sell the damn boat, if you have a warranty issue how confident would you be that it would be handled without hassle? If they are such a great value raft, wouldn't they just sell themselves?

From my 34 years on Earth I have learned a few things as a consumer, if someone is trying this hard to sell me a product, I probably don't want it.

In example: Avon/Aire/NRS/Hyside/Sotar I don't see those dealers on here making outrageous claims about puncture proof etc. They just make the best boat they can, stand behind it and in the long haul aquire customers. If you will notice they each go about it in a slightly different way (both constuction and product offereings that appeals to different customers.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #65
Crested Butte, Colorado
No outrageous claims from us!

Mr Beaver,
Just a reminder to let you, and everyone else, know that only one Saturn dealer was making those claims and it wasn't RM Rafts. We know our product and don't over hype it.
Old 04-13-2009   #66
Portland, Oregon
I hear ya RM, my point is this if a NRS/Hyside/Aire dealer was causing this much static, do you think those companies would put up with it?

And neither should Saturn.
Mr Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #67
Crested Butte, Colorado
I agree! Believe me, I have taken it up with them.
Old 04-13-2009   #68
sounds like someone had to pre-purchase a container of saturn rafts and for some reason they're not flying off the shelf.
ncpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #69
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
No offense to the Hyundai drivers??...What about no offense to the owner's of Star rafts! Ha just kidding! Randaddy has a point, if you can afford the big boy -I'd go for it too.

But on the flipside - I have a 14 ft. Star and really like it. I don't know about the whole "glued bit" but all I know is I bought my Star for a good price (used) and it's treated me well as my first raft. I've had it for 2 seasons now and taken it on Huge rivers and booze cruises, flat water to class V. It's good for me because of the beefy, double ribbed, protection under the boat. A rubber skid plate -if you will. I am still working on my rowing skills so I hit and scrape rocks a lot, the extra layers are important for my level. I am sure there are lots of different boats that have that super thick ribbed liner, that's what I would look for. Good luck!
Shaheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009   #70
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Maybe we have another troll/login to check the IP of. Class V, right-o!

I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote