Old 03-06-2015   #51
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by restrac2000 View Post

Here is to hoping places like Deso never go the way of needing electric fences because of fed bears.

It has a chance because of its remoteness.

The Rogue has Jet Boaters, Lodges with citified guests, People in cabins, Miners, Hunters, Hikers and then Rafters too. This is in a somewhat lush forest that supports a decent wildlife population.

All those bears + All those Humans means electric fences are needed.

Lets just hope that we don't get to a point where the electric fences don't work.

I was working in a CG up Century drive from Bend a decade ago. I saw Bear scat. Was basically diarrhea with catchup and mustard packets in it. I told some campers to be aware and food safe. Went about my work elsewhere. Told a CG and a wildlife guy about it. They already knew.

Later I was told about a bear human confrontation there. The bear was unarmed but the human had a hatchet. The Dept of F & G showed up and trapped the bear. One of those handy trailer culvert traps. They drove off and killed the bear.

Don't be mad. The bears come back. They have to do that.

Lets just hope that we don't get to a point where the electric fences don't work.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015   #52
cedar city, Utah
Deso does stand a better chance than some places. And to be clear, fences are a great tool that I have no ethical problem with but it definitely implies a higher level of concern and management. If the need arose I would be more than willing to invest in one for Deso as I hope to float that stretch of river for decades.

Utah is in odd territory though since the state sided with the RV family after the death almost a decade ago. I would not be shocked if more agencies eventually mandate bear resistant equipment or begin to install more secure devices at campsites. Deso is unlikely to go that way for a while because of its management philosophy and designation but the threat of millions of dollars in settlement costs has altered agency behavior in undeniable ways (just look to Zion National Park and the permit system process post-BSA deaths in Kolob).

Its good to see threads like this where we get the chance to hash out ideas without agency involvement. Many of us differ on philosophy but its a sign we are taking these encounters seriously and that is always a good thing.

Here is to hoping even my bear spray expires without ever being deployed.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote