lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Originally Posted by 2kanzam View Post
I honestly wouldn't trust one of those fences to deter a hungry or angry bear (a curious one-yes). I also wouldn't want to lug the battery around, set it up, risk people and dogs getting into etc. (peeing on it?)

I vote do everything pinemnky13 says plus carry bear spray and don't hesitate to spray. Educate problem bears that interacting with humans is a bad idea.
Ask any Alaska fishing/hunting guide, electric fences are required gear for the remote camps I have been to. Once a bear, dog or human touch a fence they will never do it again. It is a real education for bears in what to avoid with little chance of injury to anyone or any animal. Nothing IMHO will stop a angry bear other than a very big gun and that is hard on the bear. One little strand of wire 3 feet off the ground will keep bears, horses, cows and axe murders out of your camp. The fence will also discourage drunk rafters from peeing beside your tent.
All that said I do not carry one. A clean camp (groover and trash a long ways from camp at night) and banging on a pot has always worked for me.

Time is like a river. You cannot touch the water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again. Enjoy every moment of life on or off the river. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #12
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
For another raft I purchased a few years ago, I went with a RECRETEC dry box. Later, Timmy (RECRETEC) upgraded my box to be an IGBC certified Bear Resistant container for a very reasonable price. Note: He can only upgrade RECRETEC boxes, not other brands of boxes.

My coolers are the YETI SHERPA (previous non-bear model) and an ICEKOOL. I take a target hardening approach and tightly wrap 3-4 well spaced cam straps around the top and bottom of cooler, then tie an overhand knots near the cam buckles. I hope the straps are enough to slow down the bear and make it hard enough and less appealing, so the bear moves over to the light weight IGLOO nearby. My YETI SHERPA could easily survive a bear encounter, it just doesn’t lock like the newer model.

The electric fence may be the best target hardening approach for the pile of coolers and food river runners float with. Backpacking, I always (when possible) hang my food from a tree and also have a Kevlar bear bag and a bear container. In reality, this approach is just not practical for river running.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #13
Jenks, Oklahoma
Bear Shock Electric Fence for Backcountry Camping and Outfitters

no experience with UDAP fences, if anyone has I would appreciate feed back. I might buy one if they work.

have used their bear spray for many years, never against a charging bear. My research turned up a lot of good reports from people who have used UDAP bear spray for real and it worked.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #14
Creswell, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a small unit that takes two D cell batteries , fits in my hardshell, and has worked great at keeping the wildlife out of my food and the likes. I accidentally touched it when I set it up and flew backwards several feet and landed on my ass. Two little D batteries can pack quite a punch.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #15
Jenks, Oklahoma

mind sharing or PM me the name of your unit?
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #16
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Originally Posted by munnnk View Post
We used a portable electric fence on Deso last summer. The bad bear came up to our camp kitchen for dinner for some cake, but a brave soul in our party (shoutout to Gremlin's wife) chased it away. We set up the fence, and in the morning, our kitchen was intact, but there were two spots with deep claw marks in the sand where the bear got shocked and turned away. So, our fence worked.

After the bear got denied access to the kitchen, he went to our boat and chewed a hole through an empty water jug, and climbed around on the other cataraft.

I would recommend the fence.

That bear fence really worked well! That bear should have been scared off by the airhorn and wild woman chasing it far into the woods but he came back nonetheless. He checked the rafts even though everything was off of them and inside the bear fence. It had rained that evening so he got a good jolt from the wet sand. I would recommended using a bear fence on Deso.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #17
Creswell, Oregon
The unit I use is a havahart ss-2. I run a ground wire right next to the hot wire, it doubles the punch. I was sleeping near this set up one night and woke to a loud bang and bright flash, but the critter that hit that wire was long gone. I tested it before I took it on the river to make sure it might work. If you do this, make sure you are sitting down in a comfortable chair first and a carpeted floor helps when the unit flies through the air as you fling back into the chair. There was a spark a good half inch long that enlightened me.
Ezcruzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #18
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Just put all your beer cans in a pile a few feet for your tent. When the bears come they will dig through the cans and make noise. Then, just crawl out of bed and chase the bear off. Its worked for me for years.
Bound is boatless man
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #19
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
I have a 20 mile solar fencer that I use for my horses. it gets your attention when you bump it, and makes your eyes flutter. I'm sure it would deter a curious bear. but I wouldn't trust it in early spring with a super hungry bear. its not very big, has a built in 6v battery, so you don't have to lug around a battery. I just use the little fiberglass poles. if I can pack it with me on my horse, you can pack it on a raft no problem. They run a couple hundred dollars though ( I think mine was $250).

I personally just keep a clean camp. trash is in a 5 gallon bucket stored away from everything else at night. coolers and dry box with the exception of the kitchen box usually stays on the boats. I don't imagine a bear messing with coolers or dry boxes if they are sealed.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #20
Seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1993
One gets a very good education each time a bear comes into camp and decides it's hungry. I've been warned about leaving coolers and dry boxes in the boat and had a bear tear up a boat trying to get at what was inside.
I've also had a team member not listen to the discussion about no food, drink or toothpaste in the tent. Then had a bear decide it was interested.
Practicing good bear since is like wearing your PFD when on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

MonsterSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote