Attaching footman loops to ammo cans - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-17-2016   #1

salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
Attaching footman loops to ammo cans

I know it has been done and plan on doing this to two fat 50 ammo cans as soon as the arrive in the mail.. I like being able to get in and out of the ammo cans without hassle so plan on attaching a loop to either end of the can so that it can be cinched down to my side deck..

Just looking for tips and tricks to help keep it water tight... Plan on screwing a hole, running the bolt through the footman loop and through the ammo can box.. then on the inside silicone a small gasket then a washer and then a lock nut.. Am I missing anything. I just want to make sure they stay water tight. I will probably also add some silicone to the outside contact point..

codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2016   #2

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Just weld it or have it welded, no need to worry about sealing holes.
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #3

salmon, Idaho
The metal on those dry boxes is so thin the chances of me blowing a hole through it with the welder are about the same as if I used a drill.. at least with the drill my holes are controlled. I had a welder put some tabs on another set off ammo cans and he said it was a pain in the ass with the thin metal..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 07-17-2016   #4

Call John at Blackadar. He and his son are great welders and solid people.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #5

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
I've welded all my rocket boxes, no issues whatsoever, not sure why your guy had trouble. They do like to warp a little, but that's easy enough to deal with (or ignore).
seantana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016   #6

salmon, Idaho
Thanks for the heads up on blackadar.. if it was the off season I would hit him up for sure. I would hate to bother him with this right now.. call me stubborn but I really do like doing things on my own... all the handles on the outdoor play dry boxes are bolted on.. I tried to upload a picture but for some reason it's not working right now..

Old 07-17-2016   #7

salmon, Idaho
On a side note.. who would of thought it would be so hard to buy footman loops in salmon idaho? I will be ordering those also..

Old 07-18-2016   #8

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I have never modified an ammo can, but have added handles to other things like the Vittles Vaults & gamma lid buckets. I found neoprene washers at Home Depot that work well. The plastic on the Vittles Vaults worried me because of it being fairly thin. I was able to find a small metal backing plate that was the right size (holes in the right place) to reinforce the inside. I think you'll be fine on an ammo can, just as long as you know that it won't be 100% water tight & bomber if you go upside down. Resist the urge to really reef on the straps securing it and you probably won't have problems with the loops pulling out or warping????
Old 07-18-2016   #9
I'm right 50% of the time

RFV, CO
Paddling Since: 1977
I attached my "capt" cans directly to the sideboards using neoprene washers and bolts. As these cans are more glove compartment use, they stay with the boat. I have been very happy with this setup.
Old 07-18-2016   #10

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Counter sunk screw, self locking nut and squirt some high temp silicone on both sides before you cinch it down. It will not leak. Have done that on my ammo cans and never had any leak.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote