Old 02-07-2016   #11
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
A lot of river runners use some form of Irish cream in there coffee, we always call it the "healer" in the group I boat with. Cream, plus sugar, plus a slight buzz.
Gotta check it out. Any guess how much liquer is equivalent in creaminess to an ounce of half-n'half ?

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #12
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
I just checked the sell by date on the quart of half and half we got last week - it says March 5. Keep it cool and it'll last for the trip - just don't let the cartons get wet. Go to the grocery and get some empirical data by checking for yourself. Get a few cans of condensed milk and some non-dairy coffee whitener if you're still worried. You'll survive and still manage to have a great time.

Have a great trip!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #13
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
About the same, I've always used the two interchangeably, half and half when I'm at work, Irish Cream if I'm on a private river trip.
Good Luck!
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016   #14
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 2011
Trying to avoid having to keep the whole trips's worth of half'n'half cold the entire time. Yeah, I've noticed those expiration dates; always been a mystery to me why dairy lasts longer the higher the fat content.

Been on many trips with condensed milk - it's pretty good. Even Nido (full-fat dry milk sold in Hispanic markets) tastes half-decent IF you mix it up the night before (another mystery); use it for backpacking now.

jge1 is offline   Reply With Quote