Old 08-16-2013   #11
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Same thoughts for me as below. Your boat and your choice, Ryan, but I'm very satisfied with 10' oars on my 14' Hyside. I run the Ark in Bighorn and Royal Gorge, both somewhat rocky sections.

Originally Posted by Ka-Pow View Post
Unless it's a really narrow Avon, you will be happier with 10 ft oars. I went back and forth on the decision with a mind to all the rocky rivers I like to run and in the end went with 10'. Once you get a feel for them in lower/rockier situations there is only benefit to the extra power.
Originally Posted by cataraftgirl View Post
So, before you start cutting the oars, a few questions. Was this a used set-up or new? If used, was the previous owner using the 10 ft. oars successfully? How wide is the raft & frame? If it's new, why did they sell oars that long with the package if they're way too long? Have you set the raft & frame to try them? I'd make sure that they won't work before I started cutting or trading them. I say this because I have suffered with "short oar syndrome" in the past. Just wondering?????

David L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #12
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999

well thanks for all the help. ya i have always used 9 ft oars on my 14 ft boats, (nrs expedition, hyside) i have a 16 ft avon pro and use 10 ft oars. i guess ill wait till i make a few runs in it. i was unaware you could cut them and still keep the integrity of the fiberglass. Either way you guys have been extremely helpfull thanks for the responses.

RyanO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #13
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I use 9 footers on my 14' boat on day trips or short overnighters, and in low water/small river stretches. Expeditions and bigger water I take the 10 footers.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #14
Owner: Class 5 Carvings
The Fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Keep the 10s, I have 10s and now 9s feel too short... I used them just last weekend on Browns on the ark at 600, not a single problem. I like the power of the 10s. Plus cutting them down messes up their counterbalance even if we all say it doesnt...
P the K
Paul the Kayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013   #15
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Your Avon, is probably wider and I bet the tubes are 21-22" tubes? The tubes on my raft are 20"x6'10" and I'm running 9.5' oars. They feel right for the boat, I'm on and for various levels runnin on the Ark. I would say run with the 10'. The only reason I see myself going shorter is a stern frame setup or longer is a river like the Grand.
Rockgizmo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013   #16
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I run 10 footers on a 14' NRS revolution and a 14' Hyside. I like and prefer the 10's and could get away with 9.5s....I would not be happy with 9s.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote