Old 05-15-2015   #1
Steamboat, Colorado
Anyone have an Ocean South bimini top?

Looking to buy a bimini. Anyone have any experience with this company?

efis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015   #2
Steamboat, Colorado
Here s is the one I was looking at. Thoughts?

Old 05-27-2015   #3
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
I too am looking at one of these tops. I emailed the seller asking if they could ship with rear straps in place of the support bars. They said that it wouldn't be a problem.

Did you end up getting one?
Quacktacular81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #4
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
With my kids aging in to rafting I might need a bimini soon. The ebay link didn't work. Any succcess stories would be welcome.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #5
Donkey Punch
Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I don't think that one comes with hardware. This one is $17 more, but comes with hardware and doesn't use the rear pole.
4 Bow Bimini Pontoon Deck Boat Cover Top 67 72" Gray 8' ft Includes Hardware | eBay
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #6
Donkey Punch
Southwest, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000

Notice the double http://
Remove one of them and the link works fine.
dfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #7
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I got one with rear support bars and replaced them with loop straps. The straps they come with, and the buckles on them, are kinda weak. The extra tubing and plastic mounts might come in handy some day.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015   #8
Steamboat, Colorado
I did end up getting one, it just showed up yesterday. Have not done anything besides taking it out of the box. It all looks good. As many have said the straps and hooks are mediocre so I planned to use different straps and hooks. I thought the support poles might be worth a try. It would be much more convenient to put up and down and would be out of the way for loading/un loading gear pile. I would only use it this way on flatwater trips and would use a quick release pin so they could easily be stowed if desired. it does come with all necessary hardware. Aside from price I chose this one because it had the dimensions I needed and had slightly heavier fabric than some others. One nice thing I noticed is that the bows are in three pieces and go together with spring buttons, so I am thinking it csn easily come apart for storing. Maybe they are all that way, others I have seen are screwed together or are one piece bows. Heading to San Juan sunday so Ill get it going in next couple days and let you know if I find out anything else about it
Old 06-03-2015   #9
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 1995
So did you get this bad boy hooked up to your frame yet!?
"Reason is the first victim of strong emotion."
montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015   #10
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I bought mine from these guys 2 years ago :Motorcycle Covers, Bimini Tops items in North East Harbor store on eBay! and it's held up great. ~$130 with free shipping. It goes together with the spring buttons too, but I've never thought of taking it apart. It's lived on my boat since new. I made diy sliding rails and they make it way easier to rig, especially for overnighters.

I used small cheap carabineers for attachment of the 4 straps to the boat - easy on easy off. It's interesting to read that people are replacing the thinner straps with heavier ones - I don't understand that. They don't need to hold up an elephant and if shit really hits the fan I think I'd them to break. Just my 2cents.

Cam buckles in line would be nice for adjustment and an additional way to release a strap if something goes wrong.

There are numerous other threads on the subject if folks are still looking for more ideas.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote