Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 04-02-2016   #31
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 1983
I'll post video and reviews as soon as I get the Lehr on the water.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

mowgli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016   #32
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
If I was buying new I probably would have gotten that Lehr propane one. They are sort of untested as yet, but propane certainly is nicer to use. I like that they can use the little green tanks and it actually sounds like they go quite a ways on each one.

Just so people know, I bought CaverDan's Honda 5hp motor this afternoon. Its a bit on the older side, but that might not be a bad thing considering it sounds like the newer ones might not have as much ability to adjust the carb and have more electronics to fail on them. I'm going to look into a propane conversion, but for now I'll stick with gas. I'm certainly not going to use it on every trip, but for certain ones like Cataract and Deso its a nice thing to have for the longer flatwater days.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #33
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
You don't need a motor. It's a flowing river!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #34
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Electric-Mayhem View Post
I have a large plastic storage box that I plan on bringing to stow it inside under my gear pile behind me. Not sure if it will fit though. I definitely don't plan on having it on the transom during rapids.
Last November in west water, I ended up strapping my borrowed 9HP across a York pack in the back of my boat. I felt it would have been secure in a flip, and was in a pretty protected spot.

We used it for the float out, and made it to the take out before sun down. Made it possible to run rapids in the warmer part of the day, and actually stop for lunch. Had to beat open water jugs in the morning with my dead blow, lows around 20.
Would rather go without a motor most trips though, but sometimes it has come in handy.
"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016   #35
Fraser, Colorado
Unplug your fuel line and run the gas out every night after you use it, learned about that the hard way down in cat last fall. Fuel left in your carburetor can plug up your needle valve, major pain in the ass.
Also carry a good tool kit for it, including at least an extra spark plug.
"Like a bunch of monkey's, trying to fuck a football."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #36
city of salt, Denial
Paddling Since: 1979
If you box your motor be careful when you open the box up. A friend of mine was opening his motor box and there was an open flame close enough to ignite the fumes and he just about lost his raft and motor from the fire plus his hair. Could have been very bad if he had inhaled when it blew. I drape not wrap my motor with a tarp to keep the water off but so it allows water to drain and not collect fumes. The Honda 5 hp is a good river motor it tolerates getting wet.
coolek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #37
Post Falls, Idaho
Sure you know but there was a time that I didn't, there is a side to lay the motor on, especially important for 4 strokes.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #38
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I did Deso last year without a motor and we were the only group I saw the whole time without one. Would have been nice a few days, we definitely got into a few camps after dark.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016   #39
Palisade, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Just back from ski trip and missed this post...I have a 4 H.P. Yamaha 4 stroke I would have gladly rented for Deso.....I use on both my 12' Achilles bucket and 16' AIRE Jacarundi. Planning a Cataract trip when flows rise to about 15K
F.A.A.C. Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016   #40
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
So just to follow up on this....

As I said already, I ended up buying Caverdan's 5hp 4 Stroke motor and took it on a Deso trip a few weeks back. The motor had a few hickups, but overall was a pretty pleasant experience and a nice luxury to have for sure. It definitely is faster and works better with just my raft being used, but even when towing another raft it was certainly fast enough to be worth bringing. It made a huge difference in the afternoon once the wind kicked up and we just wanted to get to camp. We ended up using it on most river days for at least a little while and a lot on the first two days. Here is a picture of us motoring along from the other boat I was towing...

The motor definitely didn't run perfectly and would stall fairly often, but I got the hang of getting it started pretty quick. Before the next time out I definitely need to clean out the carburetor and do some other basic maintenance. I've been looking at which type of prop guard to get or make too. Any input those of you who use these have would be appreciated.

I'd be interested to try a higher hp motor side by side sometime and see if there really is a difference. I'm sure there would be, but it was awfully nice having it be as lightweight and small as it was. We did all the big rapids in one day and I dismounted the motor and put it across behind my gear pile so I didn't have to worry about it hanging off the back. I definitely did some decent sized rapids with it mounted on the transom though and it was fine. I had a few close calls with it almost hitting a rock, but avoided it at the last second so its still good.

Ok...ending the long post now...thanks for the input ya'll...even the detractors.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote