Any difference in performance with the color of cooler? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 10-05-2015   #41

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skitterbug View Post
Thank you for taking the time for the explanation Mattoak. Everyone can agree that in theory white would be cooler, but reality can be different from the expected. But hey some are great at posting videos and star trek pics.

The rivers I'm on are too windy for biminis or umbrellas, covered with a pad, which ironically is blue in cooler!
What kind of wind are we talking about here? I ran my bimini on the dreaded Snake lake in some pretty serious headwind, and it shed the wind really well, no real noticeable difference with it up compared to down. Sidewinds have a small tendency to catch a little, but the worst that will happen is you'll spin if you have your oars out of the water.

seantana is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015   #42

Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 1985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul7 View Post
I think it's a fair question and it makes me ponder why anyone would be bothered. I mean if the question annoys you then can't you just skip over it?? I see lots of stuff on here that I'm not interested in and I don't bother myself with such things. These coolers cost more than the last refrigerator I bought so I don't blame anyone asking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Agreed. Thanks!
Skitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015   #43

Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by seantana View Post
What kind of wind are we talking about here? I ran my bimini on the dreaded Snake lake in some pretty serious headwind, and it shed the wind really well, no real noticeable difference with it up compared to down. Sidewinds have a small tendency to catch a little, but the worst that will happen is you'll spin if you have your oars out of the water.
Having to row backwards downstream, if you stop, you get blown upstream!
Old 10-05-2015   #44

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Having to row backwards downstream, if you stop, you get blown upstream!
If you have access to one, try a bimini. They're made for boats and designed to handle 40-50 mph winds, your torso catches more wind than the bimini.
Old 10-05-2015   #45

Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
Back in the day ................. way back ..............like before "pure" ice and debates about draining VS not draining ..........
we used Gott coolers. We had white, and we had Dark red, and we had Dark blue.

We'd pack 5 day trips, pack the food two days before launch, and with notable exceptions always had ice at the end of the trip. Or, at least cold beer.

It didn't much matter the color of the cooler. What mattered was packing the thing properly, sealing it tight, and not ever, ever opening it until you were ready to use what was inside. One cooler a day for the food;
1st day dinner, 2nd day breakfast, and 2nd day lunch went in the first cooler. 2nd day dinner, 3rd day breakfast and 3rd day lunch in the second cooler. And so on.
When we hit camp on day one, out came dinner to defrost. The lunch cooler was repacked with 2nd day lunch. 2nd day breakfast stayed in the cooler with whatever ice was left. In the morning we'd empty out breakfast and if we had ice left over it went into (my) beer cooler.
The uninformed were welcome to keep their damn hands off of the food coolers. Uninformed who even looked at a food cooler were given strict instructions to get the fuck away. We'd pull knives to enforce the point.

It worked.

As I said, color was (is) irrelevant.
What mattered was the packing.

Tan VS white? It was me, I'd go for the cheaper one.
Same price?
Just pick one.
Just goddamn pick one.
Hahahaha, thanks for the info! I've thought about multi-coolers, but to utilize space and have a seat for the family, I decided to go with one large one. I've already pick one! Will be ordering shortly, thanks!
Old 10-05-2015   #46

Vancouver, BC
Geezus, more money to spend! Lol

Do you have a link? I don't recall seeing them for rafts.
Old 10-05-2015   #47

Missoula, Montana
Quote:
Geezus, more money to spend! Lol

Do you have a link? I don't recall seeing them for rafts.
Riverboat Works sell the River Sombrero, which is supposedly designed with rafts in mind. A little spendy for my tastes, though: http://riverboatworks.com/river-sombreros/

I went with this one from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o02_s00

Added some slide tracks: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00

And built sideboards to mount it. Nice and sturdy, ran every rapid with it (wasn't really worried about flipping), and rowed into the wind for 20 miles with no complaints. Definitely saved my ultra-pale ass from the sun, and I was still chipping ice for cocktails on day 6.
Old 10-05-2015   #48

Vancouver, BC
Thanks.
Old 10-21-2015   #49

Steamboat, Colorado
OH MAN!!!!! Did you guys know Yeti has a blue cooler????? How does it compare to the ice melt rate of the Engel white and the Engel tan? Does Engel have a blue cooler??????
Old 10-21-2015   #50

Nye, Montana
I ordered a translucent cooler from Walmart. I figure if white holds keeps ice better than colored, then clear coolers would be the cats meow!
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote