Any difference in performance with the color of cooler? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 10-03-2015   #31

Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 1985
Finally found some feedback on Google, funny if you change the wording what shows up. People that owned both colors(white and tan) noticed zero difference in performance, only the tan looked way newer after several years of use. Glad to see others asked the ridiculous question as well. Haha.....

Skitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2015   #32

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I have a yeti 75 quart cooler in white and a yeti 20 quart cooler in tan. Because they're different sizes, I have no way to do an adequate comparison for you. Why don't you buy both coolers, the same size but different colors and do an experiment? When you're done return the one you don't like. You never know what you will find out. A lot of times, prevailing wisdom or commonsense is wrong. Don't let the haters get you down. The history of scientific discovery is essentially a nerd asking a question and devising an experiment to answer it.
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015   #33

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Just because you Googled something and saw it on the internet, don't be a fool and believe it. I heartily agree with Dr.AndyDVM. You can make a name for yourself in rafting circles and possibly compete for the Ignobel Prize by sharpening your pencil, getting the temperature probes ready, throwing your lab coat into the next load of whites, and doing the hard science to find the answer. Your mission is to get a white and tan cooler, and to continue cutting edge research on this very important topic. Please apply for the Engles Grant and then perform the hard science in the public interest by following Chip's experiment here. The community sorely needs a double blind study on ice longevity in side by side drained coolers and then a second run undrained. While Chip posted the raw data and preliminary results on the Buzz, the full peer reviewed paper was published in the Journal of Recreational Thermal Retention (Rawlins and Gunnells, 2011). There is a calling for this kind of research, and you're just the man to do it!

Best of luck,

-AH
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2015   #34
addict

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2003
This thread is what's wrong with mbuzz lately.... Nancy pants clueless rafters asking yet more cooler questions.

Free porker

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015   #35

Steamboat, Colorado
Skitterbug... I don't think anybody was really trying to offend you personally... it's just that there's been like 5 fucking threads on what cooler to buy in the past month... not only that, but threads like this get way more attention than threads that actually matter, like final opportunities to comment on Colorado's water plan.
Same goes for the fucking "Jackson vs every other boat" threads. Bout once a week someone asks what cooler they should buy, and someone else asks if a Jackson would be right for them. I think many of us are frankly just exasperated with the Buzz's priorities... Just buy the fucking thing and try it for yourself.
Sorry but to better put this into perspective, this thread has had close to 1500 views... the thread about the Colorado Water Plan had less than 600...
Old 10-05-2015   #36

Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by soggy_tortillas View Post
Skitterbug... I don't think anybody was really trying to offend you personally... it's just that there's been like 5 fucking threads on what cooler to buy in the past month... not only that, but threads like this get way more attention than threads that actually matter, like final opportunities to comment on Colorado's water plan.
Same goes for the fucking "Jackson vs every other boat" threads. Bout once a week someone asks what cooler they should buy, and someone else asks if a Jackson would be right for them. I think many of us are frankly just exasperated with the Buzz's priorities... Just buy the fucking thing and try it for yourself.
Sorry but to better put this into perspective, this thread has had close to 1500 views... the thread about the Colorado Water Plan had less than 600...
Thanks for the explanation! If you look at my history, I haven't asked any questions on this forum, had I know the dreaded cooler history on this forum I wouldn't have bother asking such a trivial question. I generally do a google search to find such info, and as Andy H. has pointed out, you have to consider the source. There's a huge lack of private boats in Canada, so this is one of the few forums for a rafting community.

I have pre-order and pay for the cooler in advance, without even having a chance to look at it in person beforehand. You can add a $100 dollars to the price tag in Canada as well. So I was simply asking if anyone had had any experience with the two. As previously stated, if there was a huge difference in performance, would these manufactures risk their reputation? I don't know? I was simply curious if anyone had the experience between the two.

I promise my next thread won't be on what's the best cooler or how to keep things cold
Old 10-05-2015   #37

Vancouver, BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by tango View Post
This thread is what's wrong with mbuzz lately.... Nancy pants clueless rafters asking yet more cooler questions.

Free porker

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sorry for your frustration Tango!

Never assume someone being a clueless rafter, I'm not going to "boast" about my experience. Now if you referred to me as a "clueless cooler dude, that should've never asked why Yeti, Engel, Grizzly and Canyon selling tan colored colors and if there was differences in performance"........well I'd accept that!

It had been so long since I posted last(decade), that I forgot my user name and had to re-register. Once again, had I know the sensitivity of cooler questions I wouldn't have asked. I keep that in mind the next decade I post on this website.
Old 10-05-2015   #38

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I think it's a fair question and it makes me ponder why anyone would be bothered. I mean if the question annoys you then can't you just skip over it?? I see lots of stuff on here that I'm not interested in and I don't bother myself with such things. These coolers cost more than the last refrigerator I bought so I don't blame anyone asking.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015   #39

south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
Obviously people care about coolers more than the rivers

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015   #40
Old Guy in a PFD

Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Back in the day ................. way back ..............like before "pure" ice and debates about draining VS not draining ..........
we used Gott coolers. We had white, and we had Dark red, and we had Dark blue.

We'd pack 5 day trips, pack the food two days before launch, and with notable exceptions always had ice at the end of the trip. Or, at least cold beer.

It didn't much matter the color of the cooler. What mattered was packing the thing properly, sealing it tight, and not ever, ever opening it until you were ready to use what was inside. One cooler a day for the food;
1st day dinner, 2nd day breakfast, and 2nd day lunch went in the first cooler. 2nd day dinner, 3rd day breakfast and 3rd day lunch in the second cooler. And so on.
When we hit camp on day one, out came dinner to defrost. The lunch cooler was repacked with 2nd day lunch. 2nd day breakfast stayed in the cooler with whatever ice was left. In the morning we'd empty out breakfast and if we had ice left over it went into (my) beer cooler.
The uninformed were welcome to keep their damn hands off of the food coolers. Uninformed who even looked at a food cooler were given strict instructions to get the fuck away. We'd pull knives to enforce the point.

It worked.

As I said, color was (is) irrelevant.
What mattered was the packing.

Tan VS white? It was me, I'd go for the cheaper one.
Same price?
Just pick one.
Just goddamn pick one.
Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote