Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 10-01-2015   #11
Vancouver, BC
Paddling Since: 1985
CoBoater.....I'm sure you wouldn't respond to me like that in person, not a very respectful response. I've kayaked for 20 years.....

I'm not asking between other color, obviously blue, BLACK are going to attract heat. The question was simply between white and tan, which isn't a huge color difference. Anyone with any experience care to reply.

Skitterbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015   #12
Vancouver, BC
Contacted Engels directly, they state no difference in performance.......but I've learned never to trust manufacturer's

Old 10-01-2015   #13
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I used my Tan Engle on an 8 day san Juan trip with average highs over 100 degrees. I used some dry ice on bottom, but bottom line, I still had ice at takeout.
denali1322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015   #14
Laramie, Wyoming
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015   #15
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
I bought a tan Yeti, the bottom line: it sucked. Thankfully, it got hot enough on a trip and the lid warped, I sent it back and they shipped me a new, white one last year. Keeps
Ice very well. Btw, their customer service was excellent, it didn't cost me a dime.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015   #16
Vancouver, BC
Thank you very much, wildh2onriver and denali for the feedback.
Old 10-01-2015   #17
Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Any color other than white will get hotter in the sun. However with thick and good quality insulation, the difference in energy that actually transfers through the insulation into the cooler might be insignificant.

However, and this may actually be where the performance evens out, is that a color other than white will have a higher emissivity, meaning it radiates energy (cools down) faster once it stops absorbing energy (from the sun). So as soon as you take your other-than-white colored cooler out of the sun, it will cool off faster. And the insulation behind the exterior will cool off faster because the outside will be radiating more energy.

I bet the difference in performance over several days in 8 hours of direct sunlight would be hours worth of ice. And the number of times you open and close your lid, and the way you pack your stuff, will probably be a much bigger factor.

It would be cool to do a heat transfer simulation of 8 hours of sunlight with 8 hours of no sunlight and compare different colored surfaces with identical insulation backing and look at a graph of heat transfer over time, with a total amount of energy absorbed at the end. Anyone have time and means to do that?
mattoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015   #18
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
As a guy with an LAS background, I'm always appreciative of the engineers and scientists on this forum. When you guys drop some knowledge, it's usually pretty interesting.
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015   #19
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I would hope that someone doing a multiday trip in hot climate would have the smarts to either:
1. keep the cooler shaded at all possible times. aka bimini. aka umbrella.
2. keep the cooler directly covered. aka paco pad. aka mexican blanket. aka bikini clad female sunning themselves.

I have white and grey coolers. No noticeable difference in icemelt rate.

“HOLD THE DOOR!” — Hodor
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015   #20
Vancouver, BC
Thank you for taking the time for the explanation Mattoak. Everyone can agree that in theory white would be cooler, but reality can be different from the expected. But hey some are great at posting videos and star trek pics.

The rivers I'm on are too windy for biminis or umbrellas, covered with a pad, which ironically is blue in cooler!