Old 04-28-2015   #11
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1982
Stohlquist is a pioneer in whitewater apparel. The only PFD's I buy are from stohlquist. Get a Stohlquist.

A hole so big, it sucked the leaves off the tree.
DesertRatonIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #12
Portland, Oregon
Hi float B22 being the old school vertical rubbed off?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

PDX Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #13
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
The best reliable method of finding the right PFD is to go to your local purveyor and try a few on.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015   #14
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
A buddy just bought a Stohlquist Kahuna (22 pounds flotation) several monthes back and it fits very similarly on him as my Stohlquist Drifter (16 pounds-ish flotation). He has used a NRS Bigwater Guide a while back and says the Stohlquist Kahuna is WAY more comfortable. He used to be hardcore kayaker along with a rafting guide/guide trainer and says he could kayak easily with the Stohlquist Kahuna on which is pretty good for a 22 pound vest. It looks like it has a similar fitment profile and adjustment as my Drifter only a bit more flotation on the back and a slightly different/bigger front pattern of flotation but otherwise looks like a great PFD for someone who wants something they can be highly mobile in. I liked that it had an internal bucket underneath the middle part of the length of the zipper along with a buckle at the bottom of the zipper.
Future owner of AIRE Wave Destroyer w/MadCatr Frame
SpeyCatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #15
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Absolutely- I need spares for guests anyway. This gives me that, plus the flexibility of choice I described above.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #16
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2008
I like having the NRS bigwater available for taking friends that aren't familiar with whitewater in anything class III or above. The extra flotation is nice for folks that having been trained to immediately aggressively self rescue.
but can you see its opposition | comes a-rising up sometimes | that it's dreadful and position | comes blacking in my mind | ....and then I see a darkness
laterwagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #17
Cave Creek, Arizona
I decided to go with the Astral Norge. I think I will get the NRS Big Water Guide or the Stohlquist Kahuna later on as a spare, or if I get invited on a Garand trip.

Thanks for the info!
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015   #18
Cave Creek, Arizona
Well shit, I went down to REI and tried on a couple of Stohlquists. They didn't have the kahuna, but I tried on the trekker and another one. Both were comfortable, but they aren't whitewater PFDs. I wish someone who has tried on the Kahuna would chime in here.
Old 05-01-2015   #19
Hartford, Tennessee
I went from the NRS Ninja to the Astral Greenjacket last year I think any way you go will be more comfortable than The Ninja. I am digging the new Norge and YTV with their minimalist looks.
Franz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015   #20
Cave Creek, Arizona
I took a chance and ordered the Stohlquist. I hope It works for me. I sent the Ninja back to NRS yesterday. Asked for a refund, but since I ordered it in 2013 I doubt I will get it. Maybe they will let me swap it for the Norge. If not, I will have the Ninja to use as a loaner. No mater the outcome, I am come out ahead.