Old 11-19-2015   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Alps Gear

In my quite distant and mis-spent youth I worked for 13 years on and off for various outdoor retailers around the country.

I live in Fort Collins and see quite a bit of Alps at very reduced prices at the new Sierra Trading Post.

I have it in my mind that Alps is not very good quality, but I never sold it myself and am not exactly sure why I feel that.

Anybody have any input on the quality of their stuff? Anyone know who owns the company?

twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #2
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 68
Cheap cheap stuff. However, their 40 below bag kept me from freezing more than once. That bag cost me $40 at a Mil surplus outside Ft Lewis. It also retains heat when its wet.

garyherballeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #3
Tent City, Liquid State
Paddling Since: 1990
I've used and abused an Alps 0 degree sleeping bag in pretty extreme conditions for the last 7 or so years. It has treated me very well. I had a backpack of theirs that fell apart after only 1 season. From what I've seen of their other gear, their sleeping bags are the only thing I'd trust... and it was definitely worth the low price.
Maxident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #4
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I also worked for an independent outdoor retailer, for 11 years, and we began selling Alps Mountaineering gear around 2000.We picked their stuff up through Worldwide Distributors. Their stuff was all imported and really inexpensive but the quality was better than you would find in the sporting goods department at Walmart so it filled a niche. Their oversized cot was a particularly good seller and I don't remember them ever coming back. When I was looking for a new camp chair a couple of years ago I bought one that met all my criteria (except a good drink holder!) that was branded as Browning but was made by Alps. It has held up really well! However, I believe they make a lot of the saggy arm chairs that don't last very long. My friend picked up their Guide table and it was on a few of our trips this year. He likes it and a lot of people commented on it. He said he got it cheap on STP.

Their stuff is worth looking at but I wouldn't order something without seeing it first.
Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #5
Basalt, Colorado
I have a zero degree bag that I bought strictly because of how comfortable the extra padding is. I'd use for car camping, but for a BP trip or a river trip it seems impracticable due to the size. I have a 20 degree Sierra Designs for those trips that packs down nice and tight.
Wicked warm and comfy though. No issues and cheap.
jalthage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #6
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I have a couple of different Alps tents as well as a pair of backpacking self-inflating sleeping pads, all of which purchased at big discount from various online retailers. All are pretty well designed and constructed and have held up to several years of use.

The Zenith 3 tent from Alps has been my favorite summer tent for over 5 years. The tent is entirely mesh above floor level, yet has a rain fly that will keep you dry in a summer shower. A great value for around $100 on sale.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #7
Grand Junction, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
It's halfway between Walmart and Kelty. Good deal if you get it for 40% or more off. Otherwise go with Kelty or other value brands.
cschmidt1023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #8
Park City, Utah
I have an Alps one person tent that has survived some wet nights...barely. Condensation easily builds up on the interior. If I use tight guy lines, it helps a fair amount. I think the design has a few weak points, which could be easily changed by Alps. That said, the tent was very cheap and has provided as much protection as I should expect....but I recently replaced it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #9
Jenks, Oklahoma
I purchased direct from the factory one of their outfitter grade merrimac tents a long time ago and it is holding up better than tents I have had costing two or three times as much. this tent has been leak proof in multiday rains in CO and NC. Bottom is double thick and has been on gravel bars on the buffalo river a number of times with zero issues.

Have used a lot of their various chair and table models and all have given me good service.

My experience has been just as good as the hi dollar gear on items I have purchased.

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote