Old 03-06-2014   #1
NE, Oregon
Aire Super Puma vs. 130D

Want to hear first hand experience and opinions.

I think this boat will be used roughly as
50% oar-frame
40% paddle boat
10% fishing boat

Oar-frame set up will be used for small technical rivers to larger ones. Generally speaking it will not be required to carry larger loads. There's enough rubber in the group to more than compensate.

Paddle boat use would be R2 or 3 on small rivers as a "gear boat," Other day trips as well.

Fishing is pretty self explanatory.

Not really interested in any other boat than these two.

The Buzz archive has very little to say about the 130D, if I overlooked something please point me in the right direction

Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #2
Ashevile, North Carolina
Paddling Since: 1995
Willie, while there is no "perfect" boat I think the Super Puma would more so fit your needs as you describe them. It would be a better paddle boat for 2-3, much narrower, nimble. Put a frame on it and row smaller rivers, although I saw a regular Puma with an oar rig on the Grand.
Have you considered the Super Duper Puma. Just slightly wider and longer. Has bigger tubes, can be R2'd easily, I do it regularly, and can also handle a frame for any tight vs larger river. It's a more comfortable boat because of the increased leg room for the larger tubes. My only slight complaint with the Super is the reduced interior depth. Drawback of the Super Duper would be the added weight.
Good luck. Aire is a fantastic company. Dan

Raftnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Well ive never been in a 130D, I've run a lot of stuff in friends super pumas and a 130 E. While I like the puma boats a lot, the 130 E is my favorite mid-sized raft. Its surfs, drops waterfalls, and hauls gear better than the super puma. The squared stern can hold a lot.

Just my two cents... basically you cannot go wrong with either boat.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #4
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I don't have any experience with the 130D, but did some Super Puma R2/R3 on class V runs in North CA and couldn't have been happier with it. It seemed to punch through holes/waves pretty well as long as you T'd up to everything properly.
thebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #5
Grants Pass, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1993
I would look at the 130 E. I had a Super Puma for 7-8 years. Was a great little boat. Great for paddling and solo extended trips. I sold it and ended up buying a "E". A little more width, more carrying capacity but still really agile when paddling. I really like the design and how the bow has some good rocker to it.
Katboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #6
Right near the beach...BOYEEEEE, Brahbrobrahdo
The Super Puma is definitely better at drops and punching waves....but if you're leaning more towards a row-frame than go with the 130D. However, for R3...nothing beats a Super Puma.

Wear shoes in the Safety first, then teamwork.
Brotorboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014   #7
Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Owned, rowed and paddled both...Go with the SP if most of your trips are on technical water with narrow slots. Go with the D if you'll ever have more than 3 peeps. Both are super nimble. If I had to do it over again, I'd actually go with the E. Nice blend of both. For rowing though, the straight section is quite a bit shorter. Good rocker and a fat stern to carry a big load, especially if you're on the back tube with two paddlers up front. Hard to compare apple to apple, but you should be happy with either three.
middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #8
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1989
I love my Super Puma as a paddleboat, but not so much when rigged as an oar boat. Its great for 3 as a paddleboat with gear or 4 without. Ended up buying an Ocelot cataraft for when an oarboat is needed. The SP does a good job punching through waves and holes....
stuntmansteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014   #9
Tacoma,Wa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1994
I have a 130D Identical to the one in the photo except Orange, same frame but I have 2 dryboxes and 2 captains boxes on mine, they latch in place of the trays. This is a photo I was sent when I ordered mine.

I tried the SPuma it was too narrow for all around use, and this boat preforms awesome, R2 and Oar frame. I can take week long trips no problem. There is a guy out in Oregon that runs this boat for all his big drops and R2 craziness.

Canyon whitewater inflatables in your state sells these and probably has done more frames on that boat model than anyone,they are the ones to ask about those boats and I got a killer deal on a package. They have a sweet frame setup to maximize the space on this boat, I was told by numerous builders you couldn't do what I got for a frame on a 130D with all the boxes and do 5 day trips on the boat. When I get back home I can post a picture of mine loaded up on the salmon.
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1309
Size:	208.7 KB
ID:	7784
orto11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014   #10
NE, Oregon
Shameless bump

and thanks for the replies

Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote