AIRE 4" Barrel Pump vs Carlson 4" Barrel Pump? - Mountain Buzz

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #1

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
AIRE 4" Barrel Pump vs Carlson 4" Barrel Pump?

Hey Just wondering if anyone has used the AIRE 4" Barrel pump? Looks comparable to the Carlson only it's a bit cheaper, and it has foot pads to hold it down a bit easier while you pump where as the 4" Carlson doesn't have them (I think you can still hold it down as long as your feet hug the base and the small flange at the bottom). I know the Carlson are regarded as the holy grail of Barrel pumps. I've used the 6" Carlson previously to inflate some commercial rafts and it did a great job. Anyone have anything to report?

Carlson 4" - Carlson 4" Hand Pump at nrs.com

AIRE 4"- AIRE - Outcast : 4" Barrel Pump

Advertisement

Old 2 Weeks Ago   #2

The Box, ~
2nd Generation (post 2004) Carlson pumps are made with a foam O-ring seal that does not require grease. Whereas the AIRE utilizes a rubber O-ring and grease.

I’ve notice that the grease pumps tend to attract sand/dirt and over time become a gooey abrasive inside the pump action. It’s also a dirty up to your armpit to cleanup.

I've noticed that the dry action on the Carlson pumps is zero maintenance. You might need to replace the foam O-ring in 10-20 years. Another advantage with the foam O-ring, is that it is essentially craft foam you can get at a craft shop. I know someone you who bought some craft foam and cutout their own O-ring in a jam.

Also, this is a great thread on making essentially your own Carlson pump, if you want to save money and are crafty. Its a dry action pump that utilizes the Carlson O-ring.
riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #3

Paddling Since: 1994
Down River makes the pump for AIRE. I have three DRE pumps. Have had two of them for 15 years. The shorty lives in the fishing rig. The other two are in the shop and get used everyday. One of them comes on every trip i have ever done. Zero issues over the years of using these things damn near everyday for work or play. DRE puts a spare O-ring in the pump JIC you have an issue, which you likely won't. As you mentioned, the DRE does have a bigger footprint to stand on. If it is a top off only, consider the shorty. Its easier to pack and still has plenty of volume to top off quickly.

Carlson makes a good pump as well. It is a dry action pump, until it is a wet action pump. Either one can get water inside which youll want to get out before filling the boat.

Cant go wrong with either one.
Old 2 Weeks Ago   #4

The Box, ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbaird View Post
It is a dry action pump, until it is a wet action pump. Either one can get water inside which youll want to get out before filling the boat. Cant go wrong with either one.

To clarify: by ďdry actionĒ Iím referring to, whether or not, the pumps are lubricated with grease, not if they get drowned with water.

Iíve personally witnessed the DRE pumps of a commercial desert outfitter having issues with sand buildup in the grease, but not with the Carlson. Keeping in mind that these pumps are being abused by twenty-something guides and dropped and tossed in the sand/dust daily, and are drastically more prone to issues than the private boater who takes care of their equipment, and at most, a handful of desert trips a year. Just sharing what I've witnessed.

I agree with you that most folks canít go wrong with either pump.

As for the footprint base being too small on the Carlson, that is an easy fix. Just get a 1/8Ē acrylic and cut out a larger footprint and screw it in place of the original smaller one.

Cheers!
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
AIRE 4" Barrel Pump vs Carlson 4" Barrel Pump?

I have a 4" Carlson that I like. It pumps a lot more volume of air than my 200 K-pump. In all fairness, the k-pump has a smaller diameter. But, I've had to take the k-pump apart and clean the grease and lube the O-ring once in the 3 years I've owned it. I've never had to mess with Carlson, and I've had it 4 years and use it the most. I like it so much I'm considering getting a 6" Carlson to speed up pumping at the put in. Anyone ever use the 6"? Is it a lot more volume?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

The Box, ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
I have a 4" Carlson that I like. It pumps a lot more volume of air than my 200 K-pump. In all fairness, the k-pump has a smaller diameter. But, I've had to take the k-pump apart and clean the grease and lube the O-ring once in the 3 years I've owned it. I've never had to mess with Carlson, and I've had it 4 years and use it the most. I like it so much I'm considering getting a 6" Carlson to speed up pumping at the put in. Anyone ever use the 6"? Is it a lot more volume?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
If the pipe length is the same, going from 4" to 6" more than doubles the volume.

http://ncalculators.com/area-volume/...calculator.htm
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Just get a 4" DownRiver pump. Will last for a decade.
El Rio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Steamboat, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
Pump

I prefer the Carlson. The tip of the hose that is inserted into the valve is a grippy rubber that gets a better seal IMO.
swimteam101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 Days Ago   #9

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
The Carlson pumps are the gold standard, but as far as cheaper pumps go, I have been pretty happy with my nrs 5". It moves a lot of volume compared to the 4" models, and with a little grease every few seasons it has been basically trouble free.

I prefer the nrs hose end to the aire version, because it sticks into the valve a little better. Overall they are pretty comparable in my experience, and if I had to buy another I would probably just go with whatever pump I could find the best deal on, or build my own using the awesome writeup somebody posted.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aire