Old 03-17-2015   #1
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Advice on selling Raft and Gear

Hello raft experts!

I was wondering if you might be able to help me out. On the recommendation from a friend, before a Grand Canyon trip, I had purchased an 18’ Campways Havasu bucket boat raft, with frame and some gear. My friend thought I could either use it for my upcoming Grand Canyon trip or he felt that I wouldn’t have a problem re-selling it as it was a single owner boat in good condition. (I didn’t end up using the raft on our trip, as we were going for 30 days and a river guide friend of a friend thought that the frame/space wasn’t as efficient as it needed to be for that long of a trip.)

So, now that the 2015 rafting season is starting, I’m hoping to sell it. There is a raft, frame, and a lot of accessories (bow and stern boards, 4 pin and clip 10' oars w removable blades, 2 drybags, 2 drybag backpacks, 2 bilge pumps, electrical inflation pump, manual foot pump, 9 life jackets, bow and stern lines, bucket with ropes, 2 rocket boxes, patch kit, 3 ammo cans, lantern, etc.) Picture of the raft and frame is attached. The raft is located in Boulder, CO.

Several questions for you, if you have time and wouldn't mind sharing your thoughts:

- Do you know what material the Campways Havasu raft is made of? (I think it’s 1973) Or is there a way I can find that out?

- Do you know around what the bucket boat and accessories would be worth? (Or do you know folks that might be interested in an older bucket boat in good shape?)

- Do you have any recommendations about the best place(s) to post it, to reach an appropriate rafting audience? (I'm already planning on the classifieds section here, but was wondering if there were also other places recommended...)

Thanks for any info and assistance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 - Campways Havasu - Front.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	9519   Click image for larger version

Name:	02 - Campways Havasu w Box.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	224.9 KB
ID:	9520  

ajmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #2
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Unfortunately the market for 40 year old 18' bucket boat is a small one. I paid well under 2k$ for my 18' maravia self bailer with aluminum welded frame. I do believe yours is a hypalon boat, thats a plus since hypalon seems to last.
NRS gear swap is a good place to post as well as craigslist under boats tagged "raft".

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I'll give ya $40 for that tractor seat
k2andcannoli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #4
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Thanks Spider. Wow, sounds like you got a great deal on your boat! Most raft ads I've seen (mostly from Craigslist) have been around 2k for just the rubber. Most newer self-bailers seem to be in the 5k range (from some limited research.) I remember when I originally was thinking of buying the boat, I saw an 18' rubber only for $2k, and recently saw a 17' rubber only for $1900. Here's a current Havasu example for $2200: Campways- Havasu 2 ton rated , 17'6" long X 7'6" wide raft - Sporting Goods - Bicycles - Since For

I know the boat is older (which makes it hard for me to find comparable boats), and I don't have the experience to know how much that matters; so difficult for me to determine a fair price. (I don't mind if I over paid, just looking to see if folks had an opinion on what would be a fair price to sell it for.)

I know when I did my original research, prior to purchasing the raft, I saw that some people commented that they really liked the Havasu (which is one of the reasons I initially bought it.) In fact, someone right here MountainBuzz said " Some of us old-timers think the Campways Havasu is about the best handling boat ever built. " ( Price My Raft )

I know it will be a small market for it, but I'm sure it will be a good boat for the right person with the right circumstances; especially with all the gear that comes with it. I think it would be a good low-cost entry option. Just need to find that person.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts.

K2 - sorry, going to try to sell the whole package. Will keep you in mind if that doesn't pan out.
ajmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015   #5
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
kinda hard to say without seeing it in person. I guess I would start by asking $1000 obo and then expect to come down a bit. Like it was stated before, there isn't a big demand for old bucket boats, especially 18 footers, but I am constantly amazed at what people ask for their used rafts. If you want to stick with the trend, you should ask $4,000 and mark it up piecemeal for all the gear. Then re list it on craigslist every week for the next five years.

There really is no better place to advertize it than here, but you could also try Craigslist and
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #6
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

Tough boat to sell in todays market

You might try selling it at the up coming down river swap

I agree $1,000 obo

paddle on

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #7
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Ok, I'll offer one more bit of advice here: Get some better pictures! People won't look twice at an older boat like that if it looks soggy and faded in the pics. Blow it up tight, so that all those wrinkles are gone. Maybie clean it and wipe it with 303. Put the oars on it and also take pics of all the gear your including spread out on your driveway. You want that raft to look like a nice tight boat that is ready to go on the water. Otherwise most people will never take a second look.

One trick that I see alot is that people will spray their boat down with a hose to make it look shiny and colorful right before they take their pics. Personally, I think this is shady, and I would ask for a picture of the raft completely dry before I drove any distance to look at it if it seemed wet in the pictures.

Good luck, somebody out there wants that ol' pig.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #8
Be sure and put in your add holds air almost all day.
panicman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #9
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Probably hypalon/rubber.

I have a much newer nicer looking 18' Riken bucket boat and if I could get $1000 out of it I'd be pretty happy.

None of the listed accesories have much value except PFDs if they are nice, They probably aren't. And the oars, if straight and decent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010151.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	9533  
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #10
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
What did you pay for it, and how long ago did you buy it?

Matty is offline   Reply With Quote