Old 03-18-2015   #11
NOCO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
A few more suggestions in addition to what's already been said:

*Include pictures of just the raft (three to six pics, including bottom)
*Be prepared to sell the raft and gear separately, piece by piece. The raft alone will likely be the quickest sell. The frame/floor setup screams HEAVY and bulky and further narrow the audience. List prices of individual and groups of gear, as well as a cheaper price for the entire package.
*List it on Craigslist in Idaho (Boise), Utah (Salt Lake), Southern Utah/Arizona, Western Slope (Colorado). The raft was made for big water rivers, part of the reason the buyer audience is so small.
*List it on in their classified section. That gets 100x the traffic/ads of Craigslist or the greater Utah area.
*Compare your raft and gear to others on MountainBuzz, Craigslist, and KSL. Look at the $2K Riken bucket boat that was posted today on MountainBuzz - much newer, nicer, and smaller than your raft, in cherry condition - and should go for close to asking price. Big difference between that one and yours when comparing pics to pics.

FatmanZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #12
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Thank you everyone for your thoughful answers!

ajmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #13
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
..... How to try to sell a raft in the "Gear Section".........
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by shredder-scott View Post

Tough boat to sell in todays market

You might try selling it at the up coming down river swap

I agree $1,000 obo

paddle on

On second thought, I think that is 2 high

try $750 obo

Good luck

paddle on
shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015   #15
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Problem is, your average import driving raft bum cant get that beast to the river or store it. A trailer to haul it will cost a minimum of 2k$
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015   #16
Whitewater, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
I took my old Udisco and made a hay tarp out of her. There can be more uses than running on the river.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #17
telluride, Moab, UT
Paddling Since: 1977
antique campway Havasu

I would make sure you wash the boat down with some soapy water after pumping it up real tight to give it a good leak test for the rubber and the valves. I used to guide many campways in the 70's on the rio grande amd we always had pin hole problems with the hypalon from those days. That said, the Havasu was the boat is a great Big water/grand Canyon boat and was very popular all thru the 80's. If the rubber and valves are good and the seams are not delaminating, good sign someone stored the boat well. The value of the boat is 100% dependent on the condition, but with the age, just the boat in great condition, maybe $5-600 max I am guessing. Be a great lake fishing boat with a troller motor.

The frame has no value and would never hold up to the big water you might use the boat for, but would work for class II and easy class III. I have been on trips in the eighties when many wood frames broke, even hard woods on small boats. I am old school and actually own 4 bucket boats as I prefer the way the BB handle, track, pack, ease of maintenance. I have a bucket buster system with solar charger, which works very nice with a hand pump and have made it down the grand twice and many other long trips. There is an art to running big water with clean lines by back rowing and hitting the waves just right, just like running an open canoe/dory or trying to keep your guests dry on cold days.
mcmarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
Thanks so much everyone for all your thoughts and info. Had a river guide friend come over and take a good look at it too; and had some good conversation. Have a good basis now for looking to sell it. Again, thanks so much!
ajmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015   #19
longmont, Colorado
value of Riken SB 14'

Rather than start a new thread....I'm looking for some input on pricing my boat to sell.

1987 Riken River Rider Hypalon 14' self bailer. Has patches, either for wear spots or pinhole size leaks and holds air just fine. Problem is we used a barrel pump on the floor last year and blew the center floor baffle from over inflation. Ran the rest of the week long trip without any issues though. Repair doesn't seem worth it.

I'd include a three bay frame, 2 oars, cooler, repair kit, and all the wood (side rails and floors).

I was thinking $600 - $800. Does that seem reasonable or is it worth nothing except to me?

burros is offline   Reply With Quote