A Trailer, a Urethane Boat and Thompson's Waterseal - Mountain Buzz

Old 1 Week Ago   #1

Groveland, California
A Trailer, a Urethane Boat and Thompson's Waterseal

I just bought a used raft trailer with marine plywood decking. Before I picked it up the owner went over the top, completely detailed it and SLATHERED on a coat of Thompson's Waterseal. His boats were Hypalon, so it wouldn't be an issue....but what about Urethane? Anybody have any experience? I have a Sotar raft I want to store inflated on the trailer.

Thanks!
Guy

Advertisement

Old 1 Week Ago   #2

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I've been trying to look for what I use on my trailer deck... I was thinking weatherguard but nothing comes up that looks right. When I get home I'll look, but it was a deck sealant that my dad bought for his deck. I've used it for 3 years with my sotar sitting on top with zero issues. I was hoping to compare chemicals in the two brands... but in reallity all I've ever really heard is that "friends don't let friends use Thompson's" so I was interested about the chemical similarties. Also had never thought about what the deck sealant would do to the boat...dumb dedumb dumb duuummmmb.
Old 1 Week Ago   #3

Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Paddling Since: 2013
Consider encapsulating the wood with epoxy. It's a bit more costly and a little more labour intensive but when dry and cured you won't have issues with reactions and the encapsulated wood will last a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Old 1 Week Ago   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
The only problem with epoxy is that it does not breath so as the wood expands and shrinks the epoxy will crack. Also, Epoxy can not be recoated easily like other sealers. Epoxy is also terrible with UV, acrylic is better. The sailboat guys use epoxy with several coats of varnish over it, the varnish protects the epoxy from the UV and then the varnish can be refinished without getting all the way down the the epoxy. I work with epoxy everyday at work and I have done some wood projects with it but I dont think Id ever do a trailer deck with it.
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Week Ago   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Not to mention that the OP's original question is roughly: "will the copiuous amounts of Thompsons wood ruiner already applied by the original owner affect my Urethane Sotar boat". Not "how should I refinish my trailer deck" or "what's the most labor intensive and expensive way to refinish a trailer deck".
Old 1 Week Ago   #6

Groveland, California
I'm guessing the problems would be with the solvents but I'm not sure how long they stick around. Looks like quite a buildup still left on the wood. Friends don't let friends....ha. It was nice of him, but I really wish he hadn't. I might just give it a good scrubbing with soap/water to get the majority of the sealer off and call it good. Can you epoxy over a sealant? The wood is old, but still has a bit of life in it otherwise I would probably just re-deck with MDO or Skidguard. Hopefully no-one chimes in with a Thompson's chemical burn through.....
Old 1 Week Ago   #7

Belgrade, Montana
I was just thinking about this and I remember (vaguely) reading about urethane's pro's and con's back when I was considering boats... One pro was that it was amongst the most resistant to chemical damage. Something I figured was not valuable to me as a boater...unless Dante's peak really happened and I had to row across a lake of acid. At any rate, my assumption is it wouldn't be a problem.

I can add one more option if you are concerned and it aids in loading and unloading... Last year I added HDPE runners to my trailer. The main tubes ride on these at all times and only when loaded does the rest of the floor rest on the plywood. The reason I added them was to make loading and unloading easier - i.e. remove friction from between the boat and trailer. But a side result is that the tubes really don't touch the plywood (nor it's sealant). Just a thought if you're concerned...

You could always cut a small piece of patch material and put it in a jar of thompsons and see what happens?
Old 1 Week Ago   #8

Groveland, California
Yeah, I'm probably overthinking this....either way, I put a piece of scrap material on the trailer weighted with a good sized piece of steel...I'll let it sit for a while and see if anything interesting happens. It's still soaking wet with sealant and it's been over a week since application.

I like the HDPE runnner idea, that might just ease my mind and give some more life to the decking. I'm going to look into that.