Old 12-25-2014   #1
Yukon, Alabama
6 hp Tohatsu Outboard for Long Silty Trip

Planning on using a 6 hp Tohatsu 4 stroke on an 18 foot Sotar raft on a VERY long Yukon River trip. New outboard broken in last summer and running great. Got the factory repair manual and am putting together a maintenance parts list to include spare water pump. I have little experience with a small outboards on the silty Yukon and am trying to decide if having adequate spare parts will suffice - or do I need to actually take a spare motor (or have one ready to ship to a village along the way as a replacement). I just have no idea how reliable a water cooled 4 stroke will be in this kind of silty water. I do plan on changing oil and drive shaft fluids during the trip and will have provisions for flushing the water pump system. The raft is outfitted with an excellent rowing set-up, but I believe the motor will be "required" to combat the constant up-river winds for the long trip so I consider the motor very important to complete the trip. Any advise/suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Yukon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #2
Newberg, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1981
I have used my 6hp Nissan to push 5 rafts out of The Grand twice. I don't think you will have any problem. How many hrs of running will the motor get? 50 hrs is ok for the oil. Even at 5mph that's a lot of river miles. Unless you use it for a rototiller the silt won't be a problem. The 3gal tank had over a gallon left after 60 miles if that helps.

jpbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #3
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
The silty water won't be a big problem. The extra impeller/water pump is a great idea though..your oil should be good for the entire trip, change it after when you clean/flush the motor.

My best advice is to read the water carefully, even flat water. Gravel/cobbles bars will wreck a prop or lower end. Always pay attention. Sand bars and running in mud will ruin the water pump. Read the river, little glassy areas, upwellings, and breaks in the surface chop will reveal shallow areas.

Have fun man!
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #4
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
By the way I run silty water and swamps in my fiberglass boat with a 8 hp kicker motor and a 50 hp mercury. Boat motors, especially two stroke are made to be low maintenance. Stay out of shallows, and kill the motor near shore.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #5
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
You are FAR more likely to need spare prop (s), cotter pins and a prop wrench. "Twatzoo" makes a great engine- you chose well

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #6
Get a good prop guard like the one below. I have one on the same motor you have. It requires some slight mods but they are easy.

Rock Hopper Motor Guard : Cabela's
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #7
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1979
Tohatsu on the Green and Colorado

Couple spare impellers and a spare prop nut and pins.
Couple spare props.
Carb rebuild kit.
Couple fuel filters.

Impeller has lasted from purchase to present time, 5 years, 8-900 miles of silty river operation.
Props last a long time at low throttle operation. Bring a file.
Crap in fuel, sandstorms, storm fronts moving through, eventually carbs clog and will not run slow or idle. Two rebuilds for me in same time period mentioned above. Bring something to poke out the jet with. Small-stranded wire.
Good Luck!
catsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014   #8
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
You might want a nice Yanmar diesel for your adventures Yukon
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #9
Yukon, Alabama
Many thanks for the responses.
Yukon77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014   #10
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Check with this outfit

The Boat Shop in Fairbanks. Good folks that I'm sure can give you good advice on running an outboard on the Yukon.

+1 on whatever you'd need for running a prop into a gravel or sand bar - AK silty rivers can be VERY hard to read and the gravel bars are always changing.

Boat Shop, Inc. Fairbanks, Alaska

denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote