Old 07-16-2015   #21
Originally Posted by gannon_w View Post
I thought this was an area code represent call out...970 baby!
Yeah - I was expecting a thread calling out Denver boaters for holding a race won by a guy who swam.

BrianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015   #22
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by Peev View Post
Every 5 years? Do you boat or just over analyze shit on the internet? I can't imagine any PFD lasting more than 2 years, at best.
Why are you getting personal about it? Don't see much need for that. We can discuss and even disagree with each other without attacking one another.

Yeah, every five years like they recommend (or 300 days). Sorry to say living in Cedar City I only get about 30-40 days a year on the river being landlocked the way we are. Never seen an issue with that range as long as its not out in the sun when not used. Most technical fabrics have about that range (ropes, pfds, etc). My current vest is in its 3rd full season has about 100+ days on it and is not showing much in the way of wear and tear.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #23
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Originally Posted by bucketboater View Post
I have 4 comercial pfd that I inherited from my parents. They're 30 years old and still going strong. They've been tested with numerous flips. Dude from sotar swears by 303 on the bottom of his boat before low water mfs trips. Probally works well.
I realize you're talking about what works for sliding on rocks, but when I talked to them just last week they specifically said do not use 303 on their tubes.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #24
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
Originally Posted by The Mogur View Post
Years ago, when 303 first came out, Dan Baxter (the Bax half of Andy & Bax in Portland) did a little experiment with 303. He treated one half of a new America's Cup life jacket with 303, and then put the jacket in the rain on the roof of his building. And forgot about it. A year later, he stumbled across it. The untreated half was thoroughly rotted away. The fabric had totally broken down and the flotation pads were exposed. The 303 side was in perfect condition, except for fading.

I'd say that's a pretty good argument for putting 303 on life jackets.
There, fixed it for you.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #25
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Nice one duct tape!
I use it on myself, helps protect against disagreements that go on for to long on the buzz.
Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #26
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
(In my creepiest Mike Myers impersonating a girl voice) I use it on Duct Tape!

Disclosure - I actually don't know Duct Tape the mtn buzz person. Sorry Mr. Tape.

“HOLD THE DOOR!” — Hodor
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #27
San Juan Islands, Washington
I've been using 303 for 20?+ years on everything, But I've noticed something rather disturbing in the last few years. I usually buy 303 in the gallon size bottle then pour it into smaller spray bottles, In the last couple years two plastic spray bottles (one a 303 bottle), and two gallon sized bottles had become brittle and broke. How does a plastic bottle of something that's supposed to protect plastic become brittle and crack? It's filled with 303, is 303 bad for plastic? I've heard Aire (maybe it was Sotar, I have both) doesn't recommend using 303 on their boats, maybe they know something.
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #28
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
This is copied from the Sotar website

Cleaning Your Boat

Use a mild dish soap and water to clean off any dirt or sand on your boat. If you get rub marks or frame marks on your tubes, we recommend Inflatable Boat Cleaner or RAM cleaner which does not contain oils like 303 Protectant. Although oils give your boat a shiny appearance, the oils soak into the material and will make it difficult to add any accessories such as chafe, wrap, d-rings or foot cups or do any repairs later on. If you want to use 303 Protectant on your boat we recommend you only use it once a year. Inflatable boat cleaning products can be purchased from SOTAR or Northwest River Supply.

Here's what the Hyside website has to say

We recommend 303 Protectant for your HYSIDE. Like sunscreen for your boat, it protects against UV rays and it seems to work as a coating that doesn’t allow dirt to adhere as much as if it weren’t there.

Originally intended by American Propeller Co to protect rubber and vinyl airplane parts from high altitude UV, it is ideally suited for inflatable protection. Given that Hypalon is used to coat high power wires and reservoirs, it has incredible UV resistance. We have found that 303 helps reduce pigment fading, leaves a layer that is easier to clean off dirt and prolongs the life of the boat.

It is suggested that you apply 303 prior to storing your boats for the winter. Besides the fact that the boats will be ready for use in the Spring and Summer, it can soften the areas that cause fold marks in some fabrics.

303 reacts to water, so polish until dry after applying to reduce the slippery effect. Number of applications per year can vary, so to determine if it’s time for another application, rub some 303 on the boat the size of a baseball. If it brings back the color to a noticeable degree, then it’s time for another application.

I don't see any mention of 303 on the Aire or Maravia websites. I have applied 303 to my PFD a few times with no noticeable issues. Watershed bag seals 1-2 times per season. My Sotar raft once a year.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #29
Kernville, California
Paddling Since: 1975
303 on PVC

Limit the use on Plastic boats. PVC gets brittle over time, as it cures, so it seems 303 speeds that process.

Hear what NRS says about applying 303 here:
Hyside Inflatables is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015   #30
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
Two years? Quit buying gear from Wal-mart.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote