Old 11-11-2012   #11
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Originally Posted by Tom Martin View Post
Hey Chris, while RWhy and I like the Trango, I can only say how well it works in GC where after a few days of very nasty wet you can usually get a drying day or six of them to dry stuff out. Another thing that really sold us in the Trango is that the tent clips to the poles. We found that tents with little sleeves to slide the tent poles through are useless, in our opinion and for what it is worth. FYI Disclaimer: I do not get pro-deals from Mountain Hardware and do not know anyone who works for them.

I have encountered just the opposite- Clip style attachment is convenient and faster to pitch, but in high winds, they collapse. The wind just blows them down because the clips slide along the poles. The sleeve style is a little more difficult to set up- but it resists wind much better. Maybe the Trango has found a way around this?... but it's something I've witnessed first hand on several occasions with the clip design. I've been in a 4 pole VE 24 dome style tent (REI knock off) with sleeves and it just hummed and shook in 50 mph winds. Every other design on that beach collapsed or blew away.

One other thing I'll add for you to consider in your choice- get two doors. It makes midnight relief runs a lot more convenient when you're sharing the tent. It's no fun to get up every time anybody has to go-

Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #12
Springfield, Oregon
Our halo 4 fits two cots w/ pacos side by side in the middle. Then we each have a door and large vestibule right outside the bed. You can't stand up but they are bomber in the wind because of the low profile. Been on the Rogue in February when it rained for 48 hours straight. Barely a drop of condensation in the tent.
In the GC during the big gales. No problem.

We retired our first one last year due to UV damage and a warn zipper pull. But its still our summer car camping tent.

jrice345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #13
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I've never had a problem with my Sierra Designs Nightwatch that has clips. I agree with Tom- sleeves are a pain. I've had the Nightwatch up on Long's peak with 60 mph winds howling all night long. I think on cheaply designed/made tents there is enough play in the whole system to allow clips to slide around, or poles to bend. On a well designed, well fitted tent, the nylon lends structure to the poles, and vice versa.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #14
Shingle Springs, California
Paddling Since: 1992
Thank for all the info, I have been researching the marmot / mountian hardware tents. They seem like alot of tent for the $.

So I have never owned a single wall tent, are they just made out of Goretex or some other breathable material? Are they better in really wet condition than a fly tent..

More info would be great. I have always assumend they were made for snow camping where most of the water was frozen.

Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #15
., ...
Paddling Since: 2010
With a single wall tent you should probably expect to have issues with condensation, especially if your planning on using it for river trips. Most single walled tents you need to set up from inside and I can imagine that being a pain in the ass when the wind is howl'n. I'm definately more of a fan of the fly & tent set up. Personally, I'm not much of a fan of Mountain Hardware products. I don't like there zippers and have had issues with them in the past, not only with tents but jackets and such as well. Marmot, MSR, Sierra Designs and Big Agnes. Any of those brands you should be stoked with. The two door design is a must, after having a tent with that feature, I'll never go back to the single door. Good luck in your search!
Pro Leisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #16
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Sleeves are much better now that the manufacturers have started color coding them. I don't really have trouble with them- just takes a little practice before you understand how to thread the poles easily. Sierra Designs are among those I've seen cave in during heavy wind-I guess if you had enough guys out, it would lessen the problem. Plus side is the ease of set-up and the fact that they allow the tent to breath a lot better.

I have a single wall design from Nemo in NH. Thing has breathable fabric- everywhere but above your head. The water condenses on that coated fabric and drips on your face while you sleep. DUMB design....wish I'd caught that before I bought the thing.
Osseous is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012   #17
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
I save money on tents because i prefer nice weather boating and prefer to sleep open air on a cot

Got the kelty eden 4 from Dicks for $99 online with coupon and ability to return it instore if it wasnt what i wanted

It has two doors and is big enough to place two roll a cots. The poles are aluminum (sick of broken fiberglass) and i can set it up w/o assistance.

For real shitstorms i can place it under my noahs 16, and setting on top a sand free mat seems to work
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #18
what are people using to protect the floor from your cot legs?

The fabric the Bibler uses never gets condensation and that is why you drop a house payment on the investment.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #19
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
I've been happy with the megamid. fits two cots, no floor to worry about, lots of headroom, easy to pitch, bomber in wind, rain and snow. Only drawback is the lack of bug netting.
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012   #20
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by oarboatman View Post
what are people using to protect the floor from your cot legs?
Either: Scrap carpet pieces cut into small squares, or those little hard rubber pieces that go under furniture legs if you have a wood floor at home.

Carpet pieces are easier to place and cost nothing.

David L is offline   Reply With Quote