Old 09-14-2014   #1
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
20 yr Hyside Pro vs 10 yr NRS E (14 ft)

Looking at a 20 yr old Hyside pro (with gear) vs 10 yr old NRS Expedition (without gear). Want a Hypalon boat because we will be rolling it for transport and storage. This will be our first boat, so we need all gear. The Hyside is a complete set up. The NRS is just the boat, so would have to get all the other gear.

Glue on Hyside - is 20 years at the end of the glue life? even if the boat was privately owned?

NRS is just at end of warranty life. Hyside has been past for a decade. Any thoughts?

bucksummitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #2
Anchorage, Alaska
Paddling Since: 1990
How well was it treated?

I have a NRS 14' E series. Bought it used 11 years ago. No issues with leaks or glue. I do keep it covered when not on the river and I roll it and keep it inside during the winter. I use 303 regularly and keep it clean. I'm sure it will out live my rafting life. The boat has a ton of miles - skinny and bony, class IV and lots of big fast glacial rivers. Carries a bunch and still handles well. Better boats I'm sure but this one has served me well.

Hyside's are good boats (sure you'll get some disagreement - lots of commercial outfits use them).

The real key is gonna be how well they've been cared for. That of course can be difficult to tell - faded paint may well be an indicator of too much UV. Seams need to be solid - little fraying OK but no separation.

All things being equal I'd choose the NRS - but I'm biased - but I'm biased for a reason. Good luck if they're in good shape you probably can't make a bad decision.

Alaskajim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #3
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I have a 16' mid 90s Avon. Boat is in great shape. I was recently on a Grand trip and there were a couple 2000s NRS E-Series that were rental boats and were in great shape for being 11-12 year old rentals. I think it is spot on to say it depends on how well each boat has been cared for. If they are both about the same the Avon would be fine, if the Avon shows a little more wear the NRS would be good. This to me is like comparing two used trucks of the same make model with a 10 year age difference, it depends on the condition and mileage of each. With rafts its a little easier because its not like parts and bells and whistles improve much over ten years.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #4
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
All things being equal (cost, frame and gear cost, patches and repairs, condition, etc) I'd suggest the NRS. 10 years is a lot of time - especially considering they were probably rolled every winter like you plan to do.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #5
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
If prices are equal, I'd go for the full setup. Especially if it's been privately owned the whole time. You're gonna spend an extra couple grand on gear for the newer boat but if money is no object you get to pick everything yourself.

I wouldn't worry about 20yr old glue, there is a Late 70's hypalon boat in my garage that is holding together just fine. A mid 90's Hyside should last for many more years.
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #6
south lake tahoe, California
Paddling Since: 1974
99 Hyside still does great

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mountain Buzz mobile app
chiapet74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #7
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Oops I thought you were comparing an Avon.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014   #8
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
It is difficult to answer your question without knowing a little more about the two deals. What gear? What condition are the boats in. I to feel the better boat would be the one that is ten years younger. That being said the "gear" alone might be worth the cost on the older boat. I bought an old (1986) Avon because it came with a good frame indeed oars that were worth the cost alone. That boat is still very serviceable and holds air indefinitely. I do however worry more about the valves because of age.
I guess my advice would be, if the gear is what you are looking for and the boat is adequate then go that route. If you deal you may be settling on so so gear then get the newer boat.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014   #9
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
Yeah, without prices there is no point in pontificating.

Maybe reply with the links to both ads, or details. Both boats could be great for you but as to which is the better deal, we don't even have remotely enough information to help.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014   #10
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
Thanks for the feedback, it was helpful. The older hyside w/ gear was very well cared for, and a pretty nice set up, but I wanted to see both so I, checked out the younger boat as well, and it needed a little more love than I had hoped. By the time I realized the better deal, it was gone.

bucksummitt is offline   Reply With Quote