Old 10-14-2012   #1
Kelowna, BC
Paddling Since: 2006
1988 raft looks like new...but is it?

A friend is interested in a 1988 14' NRS Scout (older generation Otter, made in Taiwan with lighter hypalon material). Raft has only been used 6 or 7 times and has been stored rolled up in plastic container in garage the rest of time. Some signs of oxidation, but no wear or scraps. The seams all look good.

Even though this boat looks like new, will the seams and hypalon material hold up to regular use? How much would you be willing to pay for it?

nfried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012   #2
Tigard, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I had an older 10 foot otter, it was an ok, boat. I'm not sure on the year, but it was before they had rocker on the boat. Regardless of the year you should pump it up to pressure, let it sit for a few days and see how much pressure it loses. also spray it down with simple green or soapy water and look for bubbles. Bubbles on seems may be easily repairable, but if you see bubble coming through the rubber like a sponge it is also repairable, but it shows signs that the material is rotting and in my opinion not really worth the hassle of fixing it.

If it is worth buying is up to you, I sold my old otter for $300 it did have spongy rotten rubber, but it would hold air fine for a few hours. I was forthright in telling the buyer and he intended on short fishing floats on fairly flat rivers. He felt it was a good deal for him.

TriBri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012   #3
Canon City, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
To me, fixing seam leaks always ends up feeling like playing a game of Whack-a-Mole. You get one set of bubbles to stop, and then find another leak further down the line. If it has seam leaks, I'd skip it, unless of course, your friend only wants to paddle for a couple hours at a time.

That said, my boat, an 18' Riken Shoshone, is a 1985. It still holds air great, except for a few places that have wear. I paid 1000 6 years ago, and I'd say it was well worth it.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote