1986 Avon Redshank - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-13-2016   #1

Indianapolis, Indiana
1986 Avon Redshank

What can the Buzz tell me about this boat? I'm looking to add a raft to my quiver on the cheap. I have a fishing cat that I use regularly, but I need something bigger so my wife and son (3) can float with me. I'm from IN, so no whitewater, just lazy fishing floats.

From the ad:

It's been owned by us the whole time and used heavily in the late 80s and early 90s. This thing is super durable but does have a few patches and needs some love to get it to 100%. All main tubes hold air and 1 of the 2 thwarts has a slow leak. Comes with the foot pump and bag.

It is 12' 3" I believe. If that isn't specifically right, it is under 13'. To get it to 100% it needs a thwart leak to get patched and the bumper glued back to the body in a few spots. Other than that the body is in good shape!

Pic he sent:

I know nothing about old Avon's, but have heard good things. I know I would need to look at the valves and the soapy water test, but any other advice? If everything checks out, what would be a good price?

Thanks.

pjcalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-13-2016   #2

C. Springs, Colorado
I'm pretty sure that's a two chamber boat. Make sure the baffles are good. I'd probably pass if it is a two chambered boat for the simple fact that if a chamber goes....you loose half the boat with a 3 year old on board. If it has three chambers....I'd go for it. Old Avons are bomber for sure. I personally wouldn't pay more than around $300.
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #3

Indianapolis, Indiana
It is a 2 chamber. I understand the concern with a 3 year old. The "rivers" that we float are really slow with zero rapids. If something were to happen, I would simply jump out and grab my son with zero safety concerns. I think I'm going to take the gamble, he's only asking $150.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 09-15-2016   #4

C. Springs, Colorado
For that price......you can't loose. It's worth twice that in patch material
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #5

Basalt, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
Redshank

P.J. Go for it! I have one of these made in 1985, in like new condition with only one small patch I installed when I first got the Avon. I bought a breakdown frame and some 8' Carlisle oars. It has been a great class II boat for running low water Roaring Fork and Upper Colorado. Last month my novice boatman friend joined my wife and I for five days on the Gates of Ladore, running at 2,000 cfs. He only carried his personal dry bag, but ran everything except the top drops of Hell's Half Mile, which he lined on river right. Yes, if you poped a tube it would be bad news, however I have seen Avon rafts taking serious beatings, fully loaded, bounding off of jagged rock walls with only scuff marks to show for it. These old boats were made with the best hypalon fabric ever made. The only time I remember putting a hole in one was on the Omo River in Ethiopia, when it was shredded by a hippo.

Enjoy the boat! Hanspeter
Hanspeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016   #6

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1992
1986 Avon Redshank

"shredded by a hippo."

Just goes to show, things can always be more difficult than what you're dealing with right now!!
denachuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016   #7

salt lake city, Utah
Paddling Since: 1974
old avon

If you don't want it I will take it . PS any old avon dingys out there for sale??
stevo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016   #8

Indianapolis, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanspeter View Post
P.J. Go for it! I have one of these made in 1985, in like new condition with only one small patch I installed when I first got the Avon. I bought a breakdown frame and some 8' Carlisle oars. It has been a great class II boat for running low water Roaring Fork and Upper Colorado. Last month my novice boatman friend joined my wife and I for five days on the Gates of Ladore, running at 2,000 cfs. He only carried his personal dry bag, but ran everything except the top drops of Hell's Half Mile, which he lined on river right. Yes, if you poped a tube it would be bad news, however I have seen Avon rafts taking serious beatings, fully loaded, bounding off of jagged rock walls with only scuff marks to show for it. These old boats were made with the best hypalon fabric ever made. The only time I remember putting a hole in one was on the Omo River in Ethiopia, when it was shredded by a hippo.

Enjoy the boat! Hanspeter
Picked it up today. He gave me the remnants of the original patch kit and a pint of honey from his farm as well. It started its life in Oman as transportation to his big boat in the bay. I inflated it in my garage when I got home this evening, and it looks great. I'm going to wash it, give it a coat of 303 and start planning my frame this week.

If you have any pics of your Avon with the frame on it, I'd love to see them. I'm assuming you added D-rings.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Old 09-30-2016   #9

Indianapolis, Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1 View Post
If you don't want it I will take it . PS any old avon dingys out there for sale??

Avon Raft - Redcrest 9'
Old 10-01-2016   #10

Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1996
Love my Redshanks. Heres some photos I dug up with some shots of how we rig the 12 and the 15.5. Keep an eye out for valves because there is only one source I have found in Europe and I havnt confirmed they still exist.

Avon Redshank Rigging - Album on Imgur
Jamesdking is offline   Reply With Quote