Mountain Buzz banner

160DD vs Hyside SB

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Jessy 
#1 ·
I've only rowed hypalon bucket boats & the occasional dory (I currently have a 16' Avon). For spousal harmony I'm looking to get a self bailer. I run multi-day trips with my family of 4. I'm looking at either a 2012160DD ($3000) or a 2004 Hyside ($1800). Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

#2 ·
Anything wrong with the Hyside? It's not a Rio Bravo is it?

If not, a hyside with 4 brand new oars sounds good. Both are excellent boats, and both should last a long time. At 12 years old I'd change the floor PRV to one with a lower release pressure (one and a half psi) to protect the glued I beams.

#4 ·
I bought a 160dd back in January when Aire was clearing out their stock to update the geometry of the boat. So far I have been pretty happy with the boat however it is my first and only boat. There is one thing that I would caution you about the 160dd and that is from the frame to the floor you only have about 12" due to the tubes being 21" and the floor is very thick. Look at this discussion:

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/f44/new-drybox-dimensions-for-aire-160dd-60216.htm

I have been able to make it work pretty well so far for my family of 4. If you have any other questions let me know.

Jesse

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.