Interesting. I watched the video.

Any Mt Buzz boaters actually used this system
if so how was the taste?

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #12
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Originally Posted by Schutzie View Post
The boat will do fine. Will it carry all your beer however........

been on a trip with a 12 footer upright all the way and lots of fun!!

These two comments sum it up. The boat WILLL be fine, but unless you have enough boats to spread out the load, it can easily get overloaded. The 14' boat is more maneuverable than the 18', but the 18' carries everything you need without the pile going up to your shoulders. I have rowed both, enjoy both, but as I age, I opt for more space over more maneuverability. Ironically, I loaded more beer on the 14' boat than I took on the 18' boat, perhaps that is why I did not flip in the meat in horn!

DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #13
Nov-Dec days getting shorter, getting colder, a flipped raft is the last thing you want, gear could get away and depending on you group, rescues are more difficult. I'm launching tomorrow on the grand with my 18' er. Personally I'd save the 14'er for a hot summer run.
mrkyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #14
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Mrkayak's got a good point, especially considering a winter trip. Ask yourself how much margin of safety you've got with the other boats & what skills and abilities your crew has. Would your crew be able to handle another flipped boat, another swimmer, and you, all at the same time?

When you're down there, each day you should plan how you run a rapid considering where you are during the day. For instance, a more conservative line would be better if it's getting late in the day or if you've still got some big stuff to run.

As for a 14' boat, I felt really good in the midst of 4 big 18' gearpigs with a bunch of strong kayakers and duckies around. My tactic was to take the sneak lines on the big stuff and then I had a blast on all the rapids no one ever mentions. Watch out for Sapphire and remember that Mile 209 has a great pullover spot for snacks and scouting.

Enjoy all that fine whitewater down thare!

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014   #15
subaru, down by the river
Paddling Since: 2003
small boat + big water = lots of fun! I prefer a smaller boat in big water, they are way more nimble, and I'm used to a 14er. We had two 14'er's on our trip and no carnage @ about 7000-12,000cfs. I'd say take it, unless you just want more room to spread out.
turtle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #16
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
If your solo in a 14' raft you should be just fine. When you start adding a passenger or passengers you can quickly overload the boat for that length of trip. If not I totally wouldn't worry about it. We had several 14 footers this last Aug, although a couple ended up flipping I think it had more to do with the experience of the rowers. The water level is typically lower in Nov which in my opinion makes most of the rapids easier. No need to rent imho.

Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote