Old 06-27-2014   #1
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2007
13'' Oar Towers? Oar/Frame Geometry Issues

I purchased the NRS 146qt Big Sky Cooler; amazing cooler and I like everything about it - except for how tall it is (21.25'').

I plan row from the cooler. Sitting on the drybox results in knuckle damage on the cooler.

The cooler is currently suspended 1/2'' from the floor, and yet rises 11'' above the frame. My oar towers are 9'', and I've added washers to increase them to 10''. Still 1'' below my seat. Other specs include 10' 6'' oars, frame width of 74'', and distance between oar locks of 81'', 16 foot boat.

I feel like I'm rowing somewhat hunched over and pushing from my waist instead of the chest area. I'm hitting my knees almost every time. I could probably gain another inch of height on the oar towers by bringing them vertical, but overall I'm afraid the only solution is to install taller oar towers. Does anyone have experience using 12''+ oar towers? Besides the increased risk of them getting destroyed during a flip, is there any other engineering reason why really tall oar towers is a bad idea? Any bright ideas?

windriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #2
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I would think going with taller towers is your only option that doesn't involve moving or replacing the cooler (which you obviously don't want to do) BTW, what's your frame set up, 3, 4 bay? If 4 you might be able to put it under passengers and move the deck back... DRE and AAA will make their towers any height. Go big and cut them down a little at a time until your happy. I made new towers that used an NRS lopro to mount to the frame rail that started at about 11" above the rubber following a new boat purchase. Over the past few months of tinkering moving and learning how the boat loads down I've dropped everything almost 3" and am damn near back at the 8" towers these new ones replaced. What I found is that when you're that high off the water a little change in height translates to a big change in range of motion of the oar, so you might not need to go all the way to 13"...

As far as disadvantages, there are plenty, you hit the most serious potentially, but also there will be more leverage on your mounting system so things could twist or break more easily. The other big one is I found it strange sitting that high. I had nice visibility but I felt exposed, not just to water but to wind, cold, etc. I longed to be tucked into my little hole in the middle of the boat. Now that things are lower I'm getting used to the position and have come to like it, but I don't think I'd want to be as high as your talking about. That said, I'm sure you'll get used to it if your cooler needs to be in the rowers position. A potential advantage is my dogs could walk under the oar with out getting in my way of rowing. I thought that was nice.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014   #3
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
One other issue to consider when sitting that are at the wrong end of a lever. Hit a wave and the boat pitches.....and you pitch more. It will be harder to stay in the boat sitting that high. I'm considering cutting down my flip seat bracket for just that reason. You get launched in a big hit and there's not much you can do about it. To me, one of the only advantages of not having a seat is that it places your center of gravity deeper into the boat. Your rig gives that up.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014   #4
Eagle Mountian, Utah
Paddling Since: 2007
I had the same problem only it was with my dry box (similar dimensions to your cooler) not a cooler. I tweeked it so that it currently sits in this way. Front bay - cooler, second bay - dry box, 3rd bay - rowing, fourth bay - drop bag and seat. In doing so I nearly hit my knuckles on the dry box. I only have 6" oar towers and I am planning on changing to 8" thus fixing the problem. Increasing the height of you roar towers should allow you to row with the cooler in front of you, but without you putting yourself to high in the raft.
Strieby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014   #5
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
I have an 18' NRS boat with the Icce Cool 205 q. cooler I use in the canyon. It sits above the frame probably 8 inches and I've been using 12" oar towers for all of my trips. I stand when I row and need the height of the towers for better rowing geometry. Oar towers are made of beefy material and I haven't had an issue yet. On my one flip in Bedrock the oar tower did take a hit but the result was just a slipping of the set screws.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote