Old 10-07-2014   #11
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
The Deschutes is probably the lowest consequence class III river I have ever been down. If you know the rapids and you are confident, go for it. Just don't do something stupid, like knock yourself out, or get bit by a snake. Have fun with the afternoon wind down there...

Claytonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #12
Castle Rock, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Much of the above, plus

A) that's why I moved to raft from canoe.

B) post on mountainbuzz, be careful of the results (for example: Texans expect people from the land of microbrews to drink Tecate).

C) I seem to never have any boat ramp entirely to myself. People who boat are usually friendly, and if you behave well will boat with you in the future.

D) Be flexible, and deal well with ambiguity. I've pulled together fun trips when I was dropping off my key at the shuttle op. Once did a week long GC backpack with a guy I met in line at the permit office.

by the time you meet anyone at the adventure put-in, an awful lot of self-selection has already happened.

Plecoptera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #13
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Float Warm Springs to Harpham Flat. Its 40 miles and your only challenge will be Whitehorse, which is not that difficult if you scout it.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #14
the fort, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
for the chrome, i would do it.
By the waterside I will lay my head.
Listen to the river sing sweet songs to rock my soul.
the_dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #15
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2004
Solo boating can be very rewarding. It comes with a significantly different risk profile and potentially can have severe consequences.

The decision to paddle solo is a decision best made through honest self assessment, risk assessment, and it is a personal decision. It's not a decision to take lightly or one I would want input from the internet on. Only you will truly know if it's for you, and when you truly know you won't have to ask anyone.
deepsouthpaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #16
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 1981
I have done both sections of the lower D solo, and met several boaters doing the same. If you are familiar with the rapids, and a competent rower, you should go if you want to. For the next few weeks, you will likely have the option to hold up at the more significant rapids, and have company to run with in a fairly short time. Also, the lower lower (Buck hollow down) is now open to full time power boat traffic. I spent much of the last two weeks at Macks Canyon, and there is rarely a power boat out of hearing range, or a steelhead angler out of sight. Reason enough to head for the upper, slightly less crowded section if looking for some solitude.
geobucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #17
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1982
Originally Posted by fiya79 View Post

Go when you think the reward outweighs the risk.
This is what I have always told myself ... right up until the moment I untie from the put-in and push off.
Doubledown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #18
steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 09
[QUOTE=tango;378860]Go if you are confident in your abilities. If you have doubt, stay home.

I agree. Thats the time only if your are 100percent

make sure to have an emergency contact that knows where you are, what you are doing and when you are going to check in if you decide to do it.
flite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #19
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Rig a paddle on the side of your raft so you can paddle it to shore IF you happen to end on it upside down.... have fun!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014   #20
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1970
When my trip disintegrated and I needed grounding it happened here. First, solo boating including heavier water isn't the issue. Soul searching, versus perfect reasons to go hit me. Great wisdom and advice, including local thoughts. In the day, solo tubing (what lifejackets?) to fish was the norm. Hopefully, I grown wiser. FYI tomorrow I'm taking off. Ciao.

Gjread is offline   Reply With Quote