Old 02-15-2015   #11
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
DBP MAGAZINE ONLINE: PADDLING: A Dirtbag Love Affair. By Dirtbag Paddlers all over the World bunch of dirtbags including myself show why we love the river!

Colorado // Kayaking // Skiing // Film
Caleb125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Thank you for this post! I've been avoiding the "what pisses you off" thread because I just know it's full of hate and attitude. Thanks for the positivity!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
To me it boils down to three things,

The access to remote and wild regions that relatively few get to see.

The connection with nature and the environment, as well as the unique perspective rivers provide on the world,

And last but not least the people and relationships forged.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #14
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
I agree

Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
Thank you for this post! I've been avoiding the "what pisses you off" thread because I just know it's full of hate and attitude. Thanks for the positivity!
You're right Randaddy. I really love my boating time. I'm a teacher, so I have summers off and try to go on lots of different boating adventures. Sometimes its hard to wrangle up partners, but despite this I've shown up at some rivers, met up with great folks, and got on the rio.

River time is the time to forget about work and stress- and just live in the moment and enjoy life among others who feel the same way.

Something pretty special about that.
dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #15
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Not me, I go for shitting in a box and sleeping on a plastic mat!!!

Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #16
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
Rivers are the only place I can smoke and and not get paranoid so that's pretty much why I like boating.
The sunshine walked beside her
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015   #17
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2002
Love that time in the evenings when the coal are blazing, with the backdrop of a river and boats secure for the night. Stories of the day or legends telling their myths filling your ears. When the lone little fireflies start dancing from boat to boat looking for their nectar of choice…

…and one of those poor little tinker-bells goes in the drink.
tripple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015   #18
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
I love the chance to see places that hardly anyone ever sees. Not big places like the Grand Canyon, but places or even rivers nobody even knows exist. I love traveling to places off of the beaten path, shuttle roads like the confluence of the Bruneau and Jarbidge rivers.
I love the challenge of whitewater. I've never been a cutting edge boater. I have many miles under my belt, but I know many who dare to do much harder stuff than I would attempt. That's fine, the challenge I take on the river is mine and mine alone. I enjoy all class of river. I got bored with the John Day last spring, but the canyon it sets in is an amazing place full of history and wildlife. (I saw more sheep there than I have in my entire life this trip!) I wouldn't have changed a thing. The Rogue is an awesome place, and I am still debating whether I am ready to commit to an Illinois trip.
I have always been into 4x4's and Jeeps. We had 2 Jeeps we did trail rides in until we had my son almost 7 years ago. By his first year, both of them had been sold. I sold my IK's by his 2nd year. I took some time to decide which I wanted to do again when finances allowed. Even though I still want a Jeep again, I decided on getting a raft. WW is a much more eco friendly lifestyle, and the return on $500 dollar river gear is much higher than $500 in Jeep parts. Legitimate Jeep trails take maintenance and political alliance, and if I commit to run those trails on public land I would also have to commit to trail upkeep in hopes of keeping and opening more trails. The fight to maintain river access and removal of useless dams seems to be a much more noble fight. Dam removal would benefit more of the public than my want for muddy Jeep trails on public land. I also find that the worst rafters and kayakers do to the environment is much better than the worst off roaders do to the environment. I think even less people take their kids boating than people take their kids off roading, so my kids can be proud of that as they grow up, just like I am proud (and thankful) that my dad started taking me at 10 years old. I am also thankful for his friend Jeff, who got all of us involved in whitewater many years ago.

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote