Old 05-02-2015   #11
irvine, California
Paddling Since: 1987
The eagle was my back yard for 33 years. We only had the gauge in Dowd up until a few years ago.

I've never, ever made a course directional move in the chutes, other than keeping it straight in dozens and dozens of paddle and oared trips.

My biggest concern was/is the railroad bridge pylon at high flows.

That said, my only wrap (other than a half a freaking million uniquely prepared lunch wraps), was on a very high water trip (over 7ft). I got taken to the wood shed. As we got through the class IV, I relaxed my guard. Which caused the worst swim of all three of our lives. I wrapped my boat at the golf course bridge in eagle-vail. Bad swims for all of us. My worst before or since.

I'll never let my guard down again.

I've gone on to do some amazing trips since. That swim really humbled me. I'll never be the same because I really did almost die. It taught me that I have a responsibly when I'm at the oars...for far more than me.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

wildh2onriver is offline   Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Topic Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rafts, rafts, and rafts... (fishing) Hypobaricstalker Whitewater Kayaking 27 01-12-2012 01:55 AM
Gore Creek, Dowd Chutes Sat. Sun? sarkfish Kayaking | Trip Planner 0 05-28-2005 08:23 AM
Little Dowd, Dowd to Avon Run at 5:30? will rawstron Whitewater Kayaking 1 05-24-2005 11:14 AM
Dowd Chutes Paddle Saviors!! Boat-ERS Whitewater Kayaking 0 05-05-2005 07:34 PM
Lost Paddle on Eagle Dowd Chutes Shawna Henderson Lost & Found 0 06-14-2004 07:54 PM

» Classified Ads
9'6" Polecats For...

posted by Colgador con Rojo

2 - 9'6" rope wrapped and counter balanced Sawyer Polecats...

Sawyer 10' counter...

posted by rrrlotus

Sawyer 10' counter balanced oars - fiberglass...

14' AIRE Wave Destroyer...

posted by River Capt D

AIRE 14' x 22" dia. Wave Destroyer cat tubes, purchased...