Old 05-30-2014   #1
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Upper C at this level

Anybody been down at this level? I've got a new boat I need to get wet-
I rowed it around 6 or 7 several years ago- but I cannot recall if the bridge below Rancho was an issue or not? Anybody got any beta for me for this weekend?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #2
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
If you decide to go…..Park you car at Radium and walk the track out to the bridge where you can scout Yarmony Hole. Don't go in!

The Eye of the Needle is also a respectable hole to stay out of but harder to scout. Perhaps you could follow someone who knows the way.

Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #3
Longmont, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Here's the recent thread that will help you out.

Please Consider Your Ability Level Prior to Running Upper Colorado Above 5,000 cfs

Make sure you are FAR left before entering Yarmony, and get to the center after passing the big hole. There is a big curler at some levels at the Eye on river right that has been flipping some if they hit it sideways.
openboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #4
Steamboat springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I was there couple of days ago and it was rough. yarmony has a huge hole that sucked about 5 out of 7 boats. Be careful if you are going to do it. Send the most experienced guys first in case they need to rescue someone.
aucaviedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #5
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I was there yesterday with my family.

Eye of the Needle is starting to wash out. Still a hole on the left, so set up right of center and follow the green tongue into the wave train.

Yarmony has two options at this level - way left and way right. You can scout it on the river if you want to climb the bank of the river to the tracks. There is a huge, squar-ish bold on river right just above the hole, so when you see that boulder, eddy out and walk down the tracks to scout.

I ran it river right yesterday. At higher flows, I find it to be far less work than the left line. Just stay right as you come around that big boulder I described above, and then point the bow towards the hole. This allows you to keep pulling away from the hole as you work your way down the right hand side. I say work your way, but I hardly had to row at all once I got around the large boulder and got set up. Once you get to the hole, just point the raft into the wave train and enjoy!

The left line is still there too, but it seems to be more work. There are a couple of laterals above the hole that you have to keep pulling away from the hole. A small pile of boulders underneath one of them. Same tactic though, point at the hole, pull away from them as the laterals try to kick you into it. Once you get past the hole, you then have to quickly turn around and pull away from the wall that the river is pushing you into, and back into the wave train below the hole.

That's why I think the right line is easier at this level, once you are set up, it's a straight shot. I ran it in 2011 at 9,600 cvs this way too, and it was the same story, but the hole was wider making the left line even more challenging.

I am not sure what level the right line is no longer an option, so as flows go down over the summer, it's worth a scout if you want to try it. I'd be curious to know myself, because the right line will be my default lion as long as it is there...
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #6
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
When I started this thread I braced for condemnation~ so many Upper C threads and such. Seems timely though, given the gap since our last high water year. Great info- and maybe a few who aren't ready for it will take heed?

I've got many many Upper C floats under my belt- I know the 1100 cfs. A little diligence here to keep me honest. Looking forward to it now that I've got a little more understanding of the "current" conditions.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #7
Thronton, Colorado
Just re-read your post regarding the bridge below Rancho. We went all the way to State Bridge, nothing of concern in terms of bridges. There is a sign posted at Pumphouse regarding Two Bridges, those are impassable at these flows (I believe it has been posted here on the Buzz too as I recall).

3/12 hours with a slight headwind and a stop for lunch. I like high water Upper C runs because of that - the flows help push you through the winds!

Be safe and enjoy it while it lasts!
BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #8
Fraser, Colorado
At Yarmony, the right line disapears somewhere around the 6500 to 7000 mark. you could probably still do it but the need is not there. even at 7000 or a bit higher, the current is "slow enough" to go left of the big hole at the top and have "plenty of time" to get out to the right of the chunder at the bottom. As the flow gets higher and higher, say going over 8000 and up to 9500 or more (like in 2011) the bottom chunder comes at you so fast that the right side line is a better option because you are already set up to miss the chunder at the bottom (as mentioned above). Worth mentioning, as and if the water goes up over 9000, it is harder to get right because the water above the rapid is moving faster and faster with a small lateral coming off of house rock, so be prepared and committed to going right of the big hole! Hope this makes sense and helps
Fuzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014   #9
Summit County, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
I ran Yarmony at 10,000 solo in my 16 foot oar frame and after staring at the lines for about 20 minutes opted to punch threw the small lateral to river right of the hole anticipating that it would push me back in line with the hole and over the falls, but it went suprisingly well and was easy. I would scout it, as its a very dynamic hole thats changes character with the slightest change in cfs. Ive run it 30+ times and it definetly commands respect and adequate assessment of your skills. I would not recommend running it solo at 10,000......I had a little luck in my favor that day and cant say I would do it again....but definetly scout it and form a game plane.
SummitSurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014   #10
Keep it right side up
Mc Coy, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
First get a large bucket boat. Say 16' Avon. Then put water in it and hit the meat. Good clean fun. Over the rock is the way. The worst thing that will happen is you will swim. We did it a couple of days ago. Then picked up after all of the others that did swim.

swedgen is offline   Reply With Quote