Old 02-23-2016   #1
Boise, Idaho
Turn the corner and keep going

I'm getting laid off in July. It sucks ya but as often happens, with change comes opportunity.

A friend of a friend pulled a Middle Fork Salmon for the first week of July. A good friend pulled a Main Salmon 8 or 9 days after that. At first I was hoping to be able to (assuming I'm invited) turn the corner and hook up a MFS with a Main trip.

However now I'm thinking about continuing on down to the confluence. The furthest I've gone is Shorts Bar (I think that's the name). I guess I'd resupply at Corn and then again in Riggins. How long would it take to get from Carey or Riggins down?

What do you think? Should I do it? Pros? Cons? It's all hypothetical at this point but I am thinking about the possibility.

BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #2
Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #3
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
The only con to doing that for me would be the time off, and now that problem is solved for you.

Sorry about your job situation, but at least you can get an epic howl at the moon trip in to move on to the next chapter.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #4
Colorado Springs, Colorado
We've done this the past few years with early season MF trips. Usually do a total of 11 days MFS plus MS. Its a nice way to get bunch of great boating in.
Rockgizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #5
GF, Montana
Paddling Since: 1983
In a dream: middle, main, lower, all the way out to heller. That is a Grand length trip. If I had the time and opportunity I would do it in a heart beat. As a side note, if you want to make something like this happen, contact Mi'chelle at all rivers shuttle and i'm sure she could make all your resupply points happen. If you're looking for a float partner on this Salmon/Snake Grand adventure let me know, I'd be interested.
AirEms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #6
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Hell way not go all the way to Lewiston? You can float from Carey to Riggins in one day if you wanted to. I'd stop and camp out across from french creek (enjoy the hot spring) and then go to just above riggins. Spend most of the day in Riggins stocking up. Then camp below riggins around Lucile. Then one more night before you get to hammer. No cons whats so ever!
dirtbagkayaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #7
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Do it.
I've never even been on the salmon, but that sounds like a great idea. I've never regreted going on a river trip river trip, but have regreted not going on them.

Sorry you got laid off, but you should definately make the most of it, and go on a cool ass trip!!
Think of me what you will, I got a little space to fill.
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016   #8
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
Yes do it. .... If you can, pick up a motor mount and small outboard and keep going down the snake to the ocean...ultimate river runner dream
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #9
Boise, Idaho
The trip is on!

My buddy and I drive up to Boundry on 7/9 and launch 7/10 with a group of 12. Our Main trip launches 7/19 and it is a full group of different people. I anticipate taking out at Heller around 8/3 give or take. From Carey down it is just me and my buddy at this point and we might just keep it simple. We have some folks on the Main trip bringing some resupply and we will be stopping in Riggins for sure.

I'm really looking forward to this trip. If anyone has any sage advice please feel free to throw it out there.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #10
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I quit a job amid layoffs in 2009 and floated downstream for 2 months. Best decision ever.

Have a wonderful journey!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote