Turn the corner and keep going - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 06-28-2016   #11

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
Awesome Blueturf. We did it last year - 22 days on the river with different people coming in and out at various places.
We stopped in Riggins at the grocery store, it is small so if no one is coming in for you at Hammer you will need to think simple. We picked up our motor in Riggins too as we are lazy and motor the Snake lake. After our supply stop in Riggins we ended up camping just a few miles downstream on the road section and that was a bit noisy. I would try to camp on one of the loops away from the road if I did it again or somewhere with water noise.
FYI discovered today that there is no water at Spring Bar (above Riggins) at the moment as the camp ground is closed.
We didn't need it but Michelle at All Rivers Shuttle offered to store and bring in a cooler if we needed it.

Sorry you asked how long for Carey down, we had bad wind after Carey so got off early nr French Creek, then to Riggins for resupply etc got a few miles outside Riggins that night and to Hammer the next afternoon. We were on the sticks but not killing ourselves and that was last July with low flows. We did three nights from Hammer to Heller.

wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016   #12

Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbagkayaker View Post
Hell way not go all the way to Lewiston?

Why not float to Astoria? Then on down the coast to Panama? Then up to NYC? While you're there, grab me a slice of pizza. Please?
fishingraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #13

Boise, Idaho
I'm looking for information on water availability for the trip. Here is what I think I know.

Boundary - No water
Indian Creek - Yes water
Flying B - Yes
Corn Creek - Yes
Buckskin Bill's - Yes
Spring Bar - No

I don't think Cache Bar has water. I have no idea about Carey Creek. I also have no idea about water below Spring Bar. I assume I can get some in Riggins some place. Is there water at Hammer? Anywhere on the Lower section? We will have a filter but would like to know any how.

Thanks in advance.
BlueTurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #14

Pullman, Washington
Paddling Since: 92
[QUOTE=BlueTurf;438288]I'm looking for information on water availability for the trip. Here is what I think I know.

This is what I can offer:

Boundary - No water I thought there was water in the campground?
Indian Creek - Yes water didn't try there this yr but assume so
Flying B - Yes check
Corn Creek - Yes check
Buckskin Bill's - Yes check
Yellow Pine offered water when we visited them a couple of years back.

Spring Bar - No not unless they open the campground which is closed for hazardous tree removal after last year's fire

I don't think Cache Bar has water correct. I have no idea about Carey Creek don't think so. I also have no idea about water below Spring Bar. I assume I can get some in Riggins some place not sure about at the town boat ramp but someone will take pity on you if not. Also at Slate Creek Rec area Is there water at Hammer? yes Anywhere on the Lower section? Pine bar. We will have a filter but would like to know any how.
wshutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016   #15
Custom Whitewater Equipme

Central Point, Oregon
We stayed one night at The Big Iron Motel in Riggins and did our resupply. They are across the street from the town ramp and 2min walk to the Back eddy grill and bar. We had our rigs shuttled to the motel so we were self sufficient moving food and gear from town to the ramp. Our boats stayed in the water that night. Burt and Kate do a great breakfast but the're on the far end of town. It's an awesome trip.
Old 06-30-2016   #16

Boise, Idaho
Thanks all, I really appreciate the input.
Old 07-02-2016   #17

Boise, Idaho
I just finished a complete Salmon trip, launched at Boundary on June 8 and took off at Heller Bar (on the Snake near Lewiston) yesterday. 25 days! It's been on the bucket list for a long time. Do it! Layover days are key in my opinion to give the shoulders a rest. Contact me if you have any questions.
josi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016   #18

Boise, Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by josi View Post
I just finished a complete Salmon trip, launched at Boundary on June 8 and took off at Heller Bar (on the Snake near Lewiston) yesterday. 25 days! It's been on the bucket list for a long time. Do it! Layover days are key in my opinion to give the shoulders a rest. Contact me if you have any questions.
I agree on the layover days for sure.

What did you do, if anything, in Riggins? Thanks.
Old 07-03-2016   #19

Boise, Idaho
When the rest of our group took off at Cache Bar, we had a friend pick them up and drop off our food/supplies for the Main. Then, the plan was to resupply in Riggins which we did, but the store is very limited so the menu needs to be really simple and flexible. We camped about 3 miles upriver from Riggins so that we came into town in the am, had a coffee in town then cleaned the groover, got groceries and lots of ice for the next stretch. We tied the boats on a beach just upriver of the little park/boat ramp instead of the ramp which worked perfectly. There is no dry ice in Riggins either, fyi. We left town in the early evening and camped about 5 miles downriver. The highway is there, as you know, but one night was doable and we kept that night super simple so packup was easy the next morning and we did a long day to get off the quiet water/highway section and onto the lower stretch.
Old 07-03-2016   #20

Boise, Idaho
We felt like the walk to and from the market was pretty easy and borrowed a shopping cart to get the ice to the coolers a little faster since we didn't have access to a vehicle.