Old 01-06-2015   #31
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1990
Funny, the BQR picture of Nelbert on The Salt was from the trip I did with Nels in '05.

GC Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #32
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
The number of people going down the river is a lot higher than it was back in those days, and from what I've heard it got pretty bad back before they started making people pack out their crap and ashes.
The only serious littering on the trip was by me.
I left a pair of GI wool gloves drying on a rock.
My stupidity was certainly picked up by someone.

Our guides back then were high ethic. For the time.
They portrayed the other guided services as almost all the same.

I recall no garbage at all.
If there were any pull tabs or cig butts we picked them up.
I do remember an effort to keep aluminum out of the fire.

BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015   #33
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2002
The Park rules are there for the very important reason of protecting the resource. If every boater chummed their food scraps and burned all the wood they wanted, it would be a very different experience down there. I can't speak to what actually happened on this trip. Knowing Nels, I can only assume that his actions left no serious lasting damage.

Of the GC trips I've participated in, commercial, private, and resource, this sort of loose ethic does have deep roots. No one likes to see bacon grease and charcoal lapping at the shoreline as you pull into camp. I'm not defending whatever it was that Nels was found guilty of. $2500 is a very steep penalty. Nels is not a rich man. His GC private trips often get pulled off for $300/person including permit.

It can be very difficult to be on a long trip with someone who's behavior is negatively effecting others involved (especially the TL). Unfortunately that happens way too often. It's sad that people fail to communicate a resolution on the water. Aiding in a federal investigation of a TL not following LNT rules is not something I can wrap my head around. But then again, I don't know any of the wicked details of Nelbert's latest GC expedition. I just hope the fine doesn't keep him off the water.

jmacn is offline   Reply With Quote