Old 08-11-2015   #21
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by B4otter View Post
Two nights in same camp = layover. Three nights = stayover. Four nights = homesteading.
We had 2 stayovers on our winter grand, never done that since as we just can't get that much time off anymore. Love layovers though and try to plan 1-2 per week: sleep in, better breakfast, coffe by the river reading in a parka for hours, hammock time, etc. My wife works in the therapeutic industry so having relaxing days in camp is very rewarding and refreshing after months of emotionallly challenging work.

All depends on your goals and crew. Trying to get away from the hangover forced layover scene ourselves.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #22
On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I've done the layover thing many times on many different stretches. The two things for me that make or break the layover is location, with shade and access to hiking. Or if there happens to be some waves to play in that is awesome. Marble camp on the MFS comes to mind, that was an awesome layover. But the ones I remember on the lower salmon were not that great because we didn't have that much shade, even with a tarp. You just sit in the sun and get hammered. One of the best layovers I did was on the Selway at the very end of the trip at Renshaw camp. It was high water and we were below all the rapids, which allowed everyone to relax. We pimped out the camp and had an awesome time in the eddy messing around in our boats letting the current drag us down 140ft and then work our way back up the eddy, attached by throw rope to the beach.

DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #23
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I like layovers, I really like "morning layovers" (hadn't heard that term spider, but I like it), I like taking my time, I like not being in a hurry. Whether that be in a boat or in a camp - it's all good to me!
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #24
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Ahhh the good ole morning layover.....

Perfect for a Marble Left to Stateland Right day. 4 river miles. if that. Talk about not having to rush. That is what it is all about. In fact almost all my river mornings are like that. I guess that is why I boat in the dark sometimes. Oh well.

carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote