Old 08-10-2015   #11
River City, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1995
I'm in my 30's and I love layovers. They're not worth it if you have to do 30+ mile days everywhere else. But they are some of the best parts of a river trip. It's a chance to go for a big hike in the front half of the day. It's pretty hard to get out on a big hike and see amazing country, but still be back for some down time before dinner, unless you throw in some layovers. I personally keep trying add more days to my trips so I can do more layovers.

To me they are the reward for all the work. I've never had trouble finding something to do on a layover day on the river.

OregonRafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #12
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
Two nights in same camp = layover. Three nights = stayover. Four nights = homesteading.

B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #13
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I can appreciate a layover, especially when floating a raft, or at a campsite that has lots of exploring to do (Chinle on the SJ comes to mind), but generally if self supporting from a kayak I can have camp torn down and loaded in about 15 minutes. In these situations I prefer to float a couple miles a day and put the extra time towards hiking more terrain.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #14
Jenks, Oklahoma
On most western multidays, I really enjoy a layover day. Especially in the middle of the trip or last third.

Layover days give the boater a chance to really relax, clean up body and stinky clothing, hike, nap at will and generally recharge.

As mentioned before, if a layover creates excessive miles (excessive miles depends on the river and conditions) I would probably just keep on grinding altho getting to camp early afternoon can almost be the same as a layover day.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #15
Caw! Caw!
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
I'm squarely in the "layovers are great" camp. Having a day of no rigging, setting up & breaking down, etc. is awesome. Especially if there are great hikes, historical sites, or swimming opportunities nearby. I also love cooking, so having a layover day is an opportunity to fix something special. Plus, my day-to-day life is busy enough that having a day where nothing is required other than loafing on the beach is pretty awesome.

Having enough shelter from the elements is important, though. If it's really hot, laying over without any shade can be a drag (even under a tarp), and I remember quite fondly a layover day on the Rogue where it must've rained 2 inches in 24 hours (well, it seemed that way, anyway). Shelter is good.
AlanS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #16
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Often towards the start of a river trip, i still feel the compression of finishing work, packing gear, driving, rigging, and running shuttle. Layovers, along with half layovers, and just plain taking your time on the river, help a lot to get rid of this, for me.

Had a hellatious 7 hours of shuttling this spring to and from pikaroon on the N.P. for a 2 day trip, got on the water after 7:30, HUGE stone fly hatch, was awesome!
Sat in camp till noon drinking coffee and beers. Took our sweet ass time getting to take out, think i got home after 12:00 that night.
Totally worth it!

Important to break those psychological ties with society and the rat race, lay overs and the like do a lot for that.

Plus all the afore mentioned reasons for lay overs.

Mmmm. Home steading on a river, only did that once, not a good circumstance though, the longest G.C. trip on record did that sort of thing a lot, could be preaty awesome, months in the grand would probly be life changing.
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #17
Cortez, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Originally Posted by mania View Post
nice try Kevin Bacon it turns out you are 57! We know you want to shag Meryl on those layover days and shoot her BF with your pistol.
shoot her BF with your "pistol".....hehehe - you said pistol - hehehe...

I think Kevin's character had some repressed feelings there...

And now to echo others on this thread:
One of the most precious (yes, I said precious) experiences in life, is to do nothing. In these modern lives, we are waaay too infatuated with "doing" (otherwise known as "distraction"). And what could be sweeter than doing nothing beside a RIVER?? my book, anyways.
grumper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #18
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Home steaded at spanish bottom once in all most constant rain for 4 days because my trip wanted to let cataract drop down from the unexpected 30,000's range, that was not fun,
would have been way happier boating, but no one wanted to run there 13' sized rafts down it at that flow,(mature cotton woods with intact root systems and leaves floating by must not have helped) had time for pizza and b-day cake in the dutch oven though!
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #19
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
I enjoy a layover morning, get on the river by at least 3 pm. But seriously, I don't care for them. Did one this spring on the selway and after we all floated past the other spots we could have been at we regretted it and we had a long ass day.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015   #20
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Since we love layovers, we plan extra river days in advance. No need to do long mileage days if you factor the layover into your plan from the start. We have also done the short mileage day "mini layover" thing. Other than not getting to sleep in, those are pretty nice as well.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote