Throw Bags- How to use? - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-28-2016   #1

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Throw Bags- How to use?

I picked up a throw bag today. And hope I'll never have to use it. But if I ever do.
Where do you throw it? My guess is aim about 8 ft in front of the person. Reasoning they'll drift as the bag is in the air. Right or wrong?

Losthwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2016   #2

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
I aim for the head.

Take a swr class

Practice throwing and repacking your bag like your best friends life depends on it.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #3

I would suggest practicing with it before you actually really need it. It is also very important to educate your passengers on the proper use of the device also. Most people when in the water try to grab the bag, and all that does is deploy more rope.

Many videos on youtube and also NRS has something on their web site also.
mkashzg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #4

Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2008

gringoanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #5

pojoaque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1972
careful

throw bags can certainly help in some situations but they can also make situations much more dangerous, especially for swimmers, especially if there are multiple swimmers and if they don't know there's a rope or ropes in the water. IMO, throw ropes are used too much and too carelessly by people who are definitely trying to help but unaware of the dangers they are causing. Rule number one for me is to never throw unless the intended receiver is aware the rope is coming and in a position to get to it without the risk of entanglement, i.e. the receiver should be facing the thrower and ready. Desperate situations can get worse fast with ropes in the water. i'll probably get flamed for this post but to me it's the real deal.
semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #6
DailyBoater

Wheredat, USA
I like semi's answer.

I'll add....For someone going downriver I always thought the throw should be right at or downriver of the swimmer so that they float to it. Isn't a swimmer in the current faster than a rope on top of the water?

Yes? No?
johnryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016   #7

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
Knowing the swimmer is aware of you and the bag is a very important consideration before you throw, the rope does them no good if they don't see it and now you have a rope deployed to boot. Throw it directly over (not at) their head so that the rope pretty much lands on their shoulder. Yes you have to accommodate velocity and 'lead' the target, so there is no '8 foot' rule because it will be different in every instance.

Practice throwing at driftwood targets and reload the bag every time. After a couple reloads one friend likened it to playing 52 card pick-up, but the reload is a very important task to ensure a good throw the next time you need it.

Your post and datum suggest you finally bought a throw bag after 16 years of boating? Is that so?
DoStep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #8

Westminster, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnryan View Post
I like semi's answer.

I'll add....For someone going downriver I always thought the throw should be right at or downriver of the swimmer so that they float to it. Isn't a swimmer in the current faster than a rope on top of the water?

Yes? No?
That is what I was thinking as well do they drift at the same rate? I do know currents differ, that the shore and bottom areas areas of a river generally are slower than the middle and surface. Lots of factors to consider.
I'll look into k2's idea of taking a SWR class.
Old 07-29-2016   #9

Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Novice mistake I made years ago...had a swimmer at Wire Fence, clipped, ripped, swimmer knew it was coming...gave it a heave ho, and plink, dropped right into
the river by the cat...I had failed to give the rope any weight, either by dunking in water or by other means...luckily, our swimmer made it to the boat easily, laughing
her head off. Lots of feedback from the peanut gallery on shore, lesson learned.
Old 07-29-2016   #10

Westminster, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2tomcat2 View Post
Novice mistake I made years ago...had a swimmer at Wire Fence, clipped, ripped, swimmer knew it was coming...gave it a heave ho, and plink, dropped right into
the river by the cat...I had failed to give the rope any weight, either by dunking in water or by other means...luckily, our swimmer made it to the boat easily, laughing
her head off. Lots of feedback from the peanut gallery on shore, lesson learned.
That's a good idea.

Tags
bag