Old 02-24-2016   #1
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
The Perfect Cat Trip?

Hello internet people,

I am planning a Cat trip in the middle of June and wonder what the perfect trip is with regard to camps, hikes, historic boatman carving viewing, day mileage, etc. I've done this stretch before, but wonder if I am timing things wrong.

I have a motor and want to keep the trip under five days.

I was thinking about one camp between the Potash put-in, one camp at Brown Betty (for tubing reasons), and one camp after the rapids. Is camping at the comfluence a better idea?

Is this a good itinerary or could I do better?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated as I am a working schmuck and need to maximize my off time!

Hugs and kisses,

tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016   #2
Moab, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
June Cat trips tend to be difficult to plan because the potential of high water means your camp choices are limited. So, you'll be racing all the commercials and any other privates for only a few spots (and Brown Betty is a prime target).

If your plan is to go during the summer, consider pushing your trip back a month to mid July. You should still have nice water, but more choice of camps and better access to hikes. There are tons of wonderful camps in Meander Canyon (the stretch between Potash and the Confluence). To see some historical markers, stop above rapid 15 and hike down the scout trail on the right to the rocks near the river. Kolb camp (between BD2 and BD3) is named for an engraving on the wall.

If you have a motor, timing should not be an issue. Feel free to shoot me a PM Have a great time!

“May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.”-Ed Abbey
Emmielou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016   #3
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Thank you for the beta. I plan on putting the rig in on the middle of the week so hopefully there won't be that many comm ops. I'm not sure if it matters but its worth a shot.

tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016   #4
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Several more rapids do to low lake, plus some new camp sites lower down.
X and y camps river left got destroyed pretty bad last summer do to floods.
Brown betty river right was an awesome camp last fall.

That's ok, you can keep your kisses Man!
Have a great trip!
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016   #5
Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1979
Less than five days means four days three nights ,emmieloe is spot on with limited camps. I would shoot for lathrop river right night one try to get down to #5 or x an y night two ten cent last night ... You will be using the motor. All depends on commercial trips an how early you get on the river in the am to set yourself up for camps. Good luck an have a great time. Personally l would try for at least five days six would be better, lots of fun to be had above the confluence.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
wayne23 is offline   Reply With Quote