Mountain Buzz banner

The mighty Unc

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  gunnerman 
#1 ·
Hey, me again. Looking for beta on the Uncompahgre from below the Res. to Montrose.
I know that this is floated commercially from private put-ins and take-outs. Is there any public access? Say Billy Creek to the Montrose WW park? Gunner?

#2 ·
Unfortunately, there isn't much public access on that stretch of the Unc. You can put in or take out at Billy Creek, but there is a low head dam/diversion just downstream of Trout Road that would require portage. I don't know of any good public takeout below Billy Creek before you get to town/Target. I've heard stories of wires and fences across the river that could be hazards as well.

#3 ·
That's what I figured. Kinda sad, hopefully the success of the WW park will start to change some minds about our little river's ability to affect economics in our region in ways other than agriculture. There's no reason why the two can't work hand in hand.
Preaching to the chior.

#4 ·
Hey rtsideup, there is no proper public take-out before the dam on Trout Rd., however there are 2 good legal takeouts at the Uncompaghre Rd bridge. One is just under the bridge on river right with about an 8 ft right of way up a mild slope to a narrow pull-off, and the other is a private house on river right before the bridge where RIGS takes out. I have managed to get permission from Bill the owner to take-out if we leave him a proper care package at the front door. The put-in is at the Billy Creek pull off before the bridge, but a very small eddie. Call me at 970-497-6512 for lots more input on this run; there is a trouble 4' pourover type drop that needs scouted before running or trouble could happen. This really is a good fun beginner run, not the best for rafts though pretty shallow..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.