Suggestions for a multi-day trip with a elderly parent. - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 05-22-2016   #1

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Suggestions for a multi-day trip with a elderly parent.

So, my dad, who is 87, wants to go on multiday trip this summer. Probably late July. He's in good shape for guy his age. The last time we discussed it, he said he'd like to do the Grand Canyon. We thought we should start off with something a little shorter and easier and see how it goes.

Last fall, we took him and my mom on the Moab Daily and they both had a great time, but that was a 4 hour trip. We'd love to take him on Ruby/Horsethief because of the scenery. He's big into photography. We think it's just too hot at that time of year. We decided that maybe the Green R below Flaming Gorge would be a good alternative. Not quite as scenic at R/H, but not bad. I mentioned it to a neighbor of ours and he said that he and his wife were doing a three day trip on the that section at that time of year and the biting flies were so bad, they took off a day early.

Has anyone on MB has similar experience on the Green at that time of year? I'm open to suggestions for other trips. I thought of SF of the Snake, but it's not as scenic and it may have bug issues of it's own. I could bump my dad's visit back a month, but we're leaving for a GC trip on 9/16 and I know our work schedules are going to be absolute utter hell till we head for LF.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2016   #2

Nye, Montana
Paddling Since: 2012
Grande Rhonda would be a good trip if you could go mid to late june. If he is having a blast, stock up in Troy and keep going, otherwise end the trip there.
Mattchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016   #3

Park City, Utah
Late June isn't going to work. Does it run in late July?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2016   #4

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
There should be water this year late July, if you're practiced in low water. I believe Grant with Minam Raft Rentals floated into August last year with less snow pack.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016   #5

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I would agree that it would be an ideal float for your parents.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #6

Park City, Utah
Just google mapped it. That could be a bit of a haul travel wise. 8-1/2 hrs I'll definitely put it on our list when we have one of those no permit years. Like this one.
Old 05-23-2016   #7

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Does you dad like to fish? South Fork Snake is great fishing. I've done it once in late July and the bugs weren't too bad. If you went mid week you'd have less competition for camps from fishermen. Not as scenic as Green A & B or So. Utah canyons, but it's close and it's easy.

I'm sending you a PM about another idea.
Old 05-23-2016   #8

Park City, Utah
cataraftgirl,
Nope, my dad's not a fisherman, but he's really enjoyed the all of photos and stories of our river trips. My mom and dad have always done the week at the beach in the summer and cruise type of vacations. My mom passed away recently and I think my dad is working on his bucket list. He's very inquisitive and loves to travel and of course, take photos. If everything goes well this summer, I hope to get him on the Main next year.

He's very excited about going rafting this year. He told me that he's told all of his Tues. and Thur. nite happy hour groups about it. We'll get him on something this summer. The SF of the Snake isn't terrible. Mid week isn't a problem either. I was thinking of the Main from North Fork down to Corn. Not very wildernessy though.
Old 05-23-2016   #9

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
cataraftgirl,
Nope, my dad's not a fisherman, but he's really enjoyed the all of photos and stories of our river trips. My mom and dad have always done the week at the beach in the summer and cruise type of vacations. My mom passed away recently and I think my dad is working on his bucket list. He's very inquisitive and loves to travel and of course, take photos. If everything goes well this summer, I hope to get him on the Main next year.

He's very excited about going rafting this year. He told me that he's told all of his Tues. and Thur. nite happy hour groups about it. We'll get him on something this summer. The SF of the Snake isn't terrible. Mid week isn't a problem either. I was thinking of the Main from North Fork down to Corn. Not very wildernessy though.
I have never done that part of the Main Salmon, but my friends have. Nice beaches to camp on and a few medium to large rapids for excitement. We are headed to the Southfork this weekend. Memorial weekend on the Southfork is our traditional start to the raft season. Most years we are the only idiots on the river in the rain & cold, but we don't care. We have a tarp, and coffee, and good friends to hang out with & play cards so it's all good! Have a great time with your dad wherever you end up.
Old 05-23-2016   #10

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
I have spent a lot of time at the Flaming Gorge. I have not experienced any trouble with biting flies. If you did have trouble with that I would expect it to be in the C section. I have been there when there were mosquitoes. Get some more info from your friend and see if the problem was in the C section and ever lower into browns park. You can make a nice trip just by doing the A and B section as well. Just my 2 cents
Fuzzie is online now   Reply With Quote