Suggestions for a multi-day trip with a elderly parent. - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Trip Planner

Old 06-15-2016   #21

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Thanks for the input guys. I'll keep the Lower Salmon in mind for next summer. That, and the Main would be high on our list for a late summer trip w/ my dad. He's only here a week this time and the Lower is a bit of a haul for us. I'll plan on Dad coming for a longer period next year.

Bighorn, I think we saw that same cow and calf a few years ago. We've seen tons of wild life on the river a as well. I think we saw the biggest Wild Turkey we've ever seen one year on the C section and the coyotes were serenading us one evening. Our fall trip on ABC are some of our favorites when just the two of want to get out-a-town with the mutts. We've decide to take Dad on the Green. He'll enjoy it for sure. I wasn't aware you could tour the dam. He'd love that as well.

Hey Andrew, Anette mentioned to Pam that you all were doing Cataract. Thanks for the invite, but a shorter trip would probably be the best break in for Dad. Plus, Nika(husky mix) will be one month into her second knee surgery, so we're taking her as well to keep and eye on her. She's a rotten patient. We wouldn't want to come back to a pet sitter covered in stitches.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2016   #22

Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Motorized Grand, with helicopter out after Lava. You can do that in a week, and make it easy on everyone. July is quite hot...it's hot there now! That is expensive, but what I would recommend...

Flag
Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016   #23

Park City, Utah
Funny you should mention a GC motor trip. We were talking to the girl across the street that has guided 45 trips down there and that was her suggestion. So, we're going to shoot for '18. We've got a '17 permit, so next year's out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2016   #24

Park City, Utah
After everyone's suggestions and ATG's kind offer, I thought I'd post a follow-up of our trip with my dad.

So, we launched on the Green below the dam on Thur to stellar weather. My dad, like most non rafters was amazed at the amount of prep required for even a short trip like this one. He was very excited to be finally going on real river trip. He had his camera out the whole time and took over 800 photos.

It was a perfect start to the trip with the weather and the mild rapids we went thru. We stayed at Big Pine 1 the first night. We decided to reserve it thru rec.gov just to be on the safe side for the first night. There were a few gnats and one or two mosquitoes. It looked like a fairly level landing on the site photos. It wasn't, but BP 2's landing was and no one was staying there, so we moved the boat down there to load up in the morning. Dad took a bunch of early morning the photos of the mill pond surface of the river before the release got there and a beaver was nice enough to show up for a photo opportunity. A Blue Heron also flew back and forth along the river. We got to Red Creek and watch another group run the rapid on the left. My wife, Pam ran her IK down first and Dad took a ton of photos of her. I was eye balling the right side, but decided to run left as well since I couldn't tell how clear it was over there. Last thing I needed was to hit a rock and have Dad bounced out of the cat. Pam came up and took over camera duties for our run. It was a little bony, but we had a clean run. To most of us on MB, it's a really not a big deal, but to Dad, it was his first real rapid and he was thrilled to run it. Pam got a ton of photos too. We went down to Burned Tree camp. The camp is kind of a haul from the river, but the level surface was much easier for Dad. We set up camp among the really annoying gnats. There were definitely enough mosquitoes that we had to get the Cutter's out. It had no effect on the gnats. Those suckers drank the stuff. We did a DO meal and decided to retreat into the tents from the bugs. Dad got some nice evening sunset photos as clouds started to roll in.
The next morning was overcast, but it didn't rain. Dad got a ton of photos of Eagles, Osprey, Blue Herons(of course) and a cow Moose and her cafe were nice enough to wonder out into the river at Big Tree. The cafe was about a month old, so it was a stellar photo op for Dad. We saw a river otter family and a Redtail Hawk in Swallow Canyon and of course more Blue Heron.
Overall, a great trip for my Dad. He's already thinking about a Main trip next summer. He's decided he needs to spend more time walking around on uneven surfaces and using the stairs more to get in better condition for that trip.
Old 07-18-2016   #25

Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Glad to hear you had such a fantastic trip with your father. Also, thanks for following up the thread with a trip report. I love it when people do that.
Old 07-18-2016   #26

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Big thumbs up, good work.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #27

Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Great story! Thank you for sharing your experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016   #28

Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
nice report. Thanks for posting
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016   #29

East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
After everyone's suggestions and ATG's kind offer, I thought I'd post a follow-up of our trip with my dad.

So, we launched on the Green below the dam on Thur to stellar weather. My dad, like most non rafters was amazed at the amount of prep required for even a short trip like this one. He was very excited to be finally going on real river trip. He had his camera out the whole time and took over 800 photos.

It was a perfect start to the trip with the weather and the mild rapids we went thru. We stayed at Big Pine 1 the first night. We decided to reserve it thru rec.gov just to be on the safe side for the first night. There were a few gnats and one or two mosquitoes. It looked like a fairly level landing on the site photos. It wasn't, but BP 2's landing was and no one was staying there, so we moved the boat down there to load up in the morning. Dad took a bunch of early morning the photos of the mill pond surface of the river before the release got there and a beaver was nice enough to show up for a photo opportunity. A Blue Heron also flew back and forth along the river. We got to Red Creek and watch another group run the rapid on the left. My wife, Pam ran her IK down first and Dad took a ton of photos of her. I was eye balling the right side, but decided to run left as well since I couldn't tell how clear it was over there. Last thing I needed was to hit a rock and have Dad bounced out of the cat. Pam came up and took over camera duties for our run. It was a little bony, but we had a clean run. To most of us on MB, it's a really not a big deal, but to Dad, it was his first real rapid and he was thrilled to run it. Pam got a ton of photos too. We went down to Burned Tree camp. The camp is kind of a haul from the river, but the level surface was much easier for Dad. We set up camp among the really annoying gnats. There were definitely enough mosquitoes that we had to get the Cutter's out. It had no effect on the gnats. Those suckers drank the stuff. We did a DO meal and decided to retreat into the tents from the bugs. Dad got some nice evening sunset photos as clouds started to roll in.
The next morning was overcast, but it didn't rain. Dad got a ton of photos of Eagles, Osprey, Blue Herons(of course) and a cow Moose and her cafe were nice enough to wonder out into the river at Big Tree. The cafe was about a month old, so it was a stellar photo op for Dad. We saw a river otter family and a Redtail Hawk in Swallow Canyon and of course more Blue Heron.
Overall, a great trip for my Dad. He's already thinking about a Main trip next summer. He's decided he needs to spend more time walking around on uneven surfaces and using the stairs more to get in better condition for that trip.
Fantastic! I'm quite jealous that a trip like that with my dad is out of reach for him at this point. I'm glad you got to have that experience with yours and I sincerely thank you for sharing it here with all of us.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016   #30

Park City, Utah
BTW, as most of you know, I meant Moose calf, not moose cafe, but if someone wants to offer a good black cup of joe with some Amarula at Big Tree, we might pull over.

My dad is still raving about the trip to all of his cronies at the retire community back in VA. Probably will make anyone who will sit for a minute, listen to his stories and look at a few of the 800 photos he took. He was such a pleasure to take down the river. We had as much fun as he did.

We're now thinking of taking him on RH in late Oct after we get off the GC. Work will just have to wait a few days.

We appreciate all of the thoughtful comment from everyone as well.