Suggestions for a multi-day trip with a elderly parent. - Page 2 - Mountain Buzz

Old 05-23-2016   #11

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
I'll check with him for more info. We've always done ABC in the late fall, which is a spectacular time to go and zero bugs.

tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2016   #12

at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacc View Post
I was thinking of the Main from North Fork down to Corn. Not very wildernessy though.
It is still very very beautiful. I had never really notice since I was always in a vehicle, but did the day stretch last summer and it "feels" like the Impassable canyon. I was surprised how little the vehicles bothered me.
Old 05-23-2016   #13

Park City, Utah
Good to know. We too have only seen it from the road. That's a pretty area up there. Can anyone suggest camping spots along that stretch?
Old 05-23-2016   #14

La Grande, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I can only suggest that you don't camp anywhere near any of the flatwater stretches. I motorcycle camped there once coming back from Missoula and even at midnight the mosquitoes tried to carry me off.
rrd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016   #15

Park City, Utah
Oh Great! What time of year was it? We've never had bug issues on the Main in July or August, but flat water can be different.
Old 05-23-2016   #16

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
We did a "mini-main" last year as well, mid august I think. No mosquitos, maybe they are worse upriver (Closer to Salmon) where their is more agriculture too??

I've also done the SF snake numerous times and do not recall bug problems and I think it's darn scenic. I don't think you can go wrong with either.
Old 05-23-2016   #17

Park City, Utah
We had a few mosquitoes at one of the first camps on the left on the SF in late August. Not bad though. It makes sense that the water, being used for power generation and irrigation would stay at a fairly consistent level and not leave the ponds and pools that mosquito larva love so much.
Old 06-13-2016   #18
Casey

Laramie, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1974
Take a look at the Lower Salmon. You can launch from below Riggins or further down near Whitebird Idaho. In the late summer it is a fun run with medium rapids, big beaches for camping, mild warm to hot weather, and the water is not cold. We used to work for an outfitter there that used the stretch for family groups. They still run many trips in Idaho. ROW river odysseys west.
skixc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016   #19

lafayette or Grand Lake, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have never had bug issues on A, B or C below flaming gorge, did have a bull moose charge me on the c section while I was floating. Seen Mtn Goats on A section, Otters on A and B. If you do Green make sure to tour the Dam with a pocket full of quarters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00397.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	11742   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00421.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	11743  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00424.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	11744  
Old 06-14-2016   #20

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2006
Hey Tom,

I'll be doing Cataract around that time with some other mutual friends, and you are welcome to join us.

Deso would be a good option. Still hot though tends to be a little cooler than Ruby/Horsethief, but it is much easier to find camps with lots of shade trees. Cancellation permits are easier than most rivers.

I've run the ABC on the green many times all through the summer, and flies have never been a problem that burning a mosquito coil can't take care of. The A section is an absolute zoo in the summer especially on weekends because of yokels renting paddle rafts.
atg200 is offline   Reply With Quote