Old 03-03-2015   #11
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
The only safety factor I am thinking about would be a satellite phone for when the sh!t hits the fan...most commercial boaters around here won't assist a private boater...just point and laugh...maybe pick up a lost paddle...

FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015   #12
North Creek, New York
Paddling Since: 1997
Hudson River Dam Releases

The dam releases on the Indian River, which flows into the Hudson and through the Hudson Gorge, are every Tue, Thu, Sat, and Sun from 10:00am to 11:30am. Releases start the first Sat in April and go until Columbus Day in October. Besides the 4 days per week, there are also releases on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and Columbus Day Mondays.

Outfitters on the Hudson always help people in distress.

natepelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #13
NY rafting

What other rafting rivers are there in NY?
zercon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #14
Originally Posted by zercon View Post
What other rafting rivers are there in NY?
There are a bunch of raft-able rivers in the great state of New York beside the main Hudson River run. Here are some of my favorites......

The Black River -

Hawkinsville section -
American Whitewater - 5. Hawkinsville to Norton Road, Black New York, US

Watertown section -
American Whitewater - 7. Watertown to Brownville, Black New York, US

The Boreas River -

Upper section -
American Whitewater - 1. Boreas Road to Route 28N, Boreas New York, US

Lower Section -
American Whitewater - 2. Route 28N to Hudson River, Boreas New York, US

Cattaraugus Creek -

Main section -
American Whitewater - Zoar Bridge to Gowanda (Zoar Valley), Cattaraugus Creek New York, US

South Branch -
American Whitewater - Otto to Gowanda, Cattaraugus Creek, S. Branch New York, US

Fish Creek - My personal favorite river...
American Whitewater - Point Rock to Taberg, Fish Creek, E. Branch New York, US

The Genesee River -
American Whitewater - Letchworth Gorge, Genesee New York, US

The Hudson River -

upper section -
American Whitewater - Newcomb to Indian River confluence, Hudson New York, US

Lower section -
American Whitewater - 2. North River to Riparius, Hudson New York, US

Lowest section -
American Whitewater - 3. Riparius to the Glen, Hudson New York, US

The Mohawk River-
American Whitewater - 1. West Branch to River Road, North Western, Mohawk New York, US

The Moose River -

Middle Branch -
American Whitewater - Singing Waters Campground to McKeever, Moose, Middle Branch New York, US

Middle section -
American Whitewater - 1. Middle: McKeever to Rock Island, Moose New York, US

Lower section -
American Whitewater - 2. Lower: Rock Island to Fowlersville, Moose New York, US

The Salmon River -
American Whitewater - 2. Route 2A to Black Hole through Pulaski, Salmon (Lake Ontario) New York, US

Sandy Creek -
American Whitewater - US Route 11 to Route 3, Sandy Creek New York, US

South Sandy Creek -

Upper section -
American Whitewater - 1. Route 95 to Route 11, South Sandy Creek New York, US

Lower section -
American Whitewater - 2. Route 11 to Ellisburg, South Sandy Creek New York, US

West Canada Creek, South Branch -
American Whitewater - Fayle Road to Nobleboro, West Canada Creek, S. Branch New York, US

West Canada Creek -

Upper Section -
American Whitewater - Big Brook to Route 8, West Canada Creek New York, US

Ohio Gorge section -
American Whitewater - Ohio Gorge, West Canada Creek New York, US

There is a lot to choose from here in the Empire State.

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015   #15
North Creek, New York
Paddling Since: 1997
NY Rivers

The big rivers for rafting in NY are the Hudson, Black, Moose, and Sacandaga. The Hudson gets releases just for rafting as listed above, the Black and Sacandaga runs are both below big hydro dams. The Moose (Lower) is usually only runnable in the Spring and Fall for rafts.

There are other raft runs, but you have to be in the right place at the right time to catch : Boreas & Cedar (both tribs to the Hudson, Cedar enters above, Boreas enters below). Many different sections of the AuSable, West Canada Creek, the Salmon River, and Fish Creek. There are others too.

There are many other runs more suitable for kayaks and canoes. AW has the master list, but a great guidebook is "New York: The Whitewater State, Volumes 1+2" by Dennis Squires.
natepelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #16
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
FYI this is mostly a Colorado and surrounding areas forum. Boater talk and some other more NE focused forums might give you a better response rate on a hudson trip.

He's already got way more response than BT would have ever given him. That site is nearly worthless unless you mainly boat the Ocoee or Nanty (ok maybe an exaggeration)

Now the North East Paddler's Message Board would be useful, although not many rafters there. Alot of canoeing and poling though.

Mountainbuzz is about as good as it gets info and traffic-wise, that's the reason I'm here.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #17
Enfield, New Hampshire
Paddling Since: 1990
The above poster is dead on. The responses on BT would have been vague and generally not informative. Although I am an east coast dude I too find this board the best for all round paddling info.
JIMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #18
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
I agree as well. Have lived and guided in the SW for about a decade and now in NY for about 2 years. Not too many rafters here, but my first time on Cattaraugus creek in my ducky, I met a former Colorado resident now in WNY with a shedder and ducky. Boater talks site is not user friendly and the info is all over the place. A NE forum would be great, but the buzz is the best forum out there and super easy to navigate on an iPhone.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #19
Portland, Maine
Loads of great information thanks everyone!
I was thinking maybe a mid April trip down the Hudson. Set up camp on Friday the 17th somewhere near the put in/take out. That way we can try to get to the put in around 10 am. That way we can go over last minute details and have our team stretch, suit up and whatever river rituals need to be taken care of so we can get on the river nice and early.
I am a certified commercial guide on the rivers in Maine and i will hopefully have 2/3 more with me in my boat so there will be no major worries with safety/experience, however there is always that chance shit does happen so please keep that in mind.
As for Saturday night and Sunday I would entertain the idea of heading towards another river, which one that is can be discussed!

Maine Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015   #20
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
Ill have to wait til summer on this one. I would love to overnight on the cedar and on into the Hudson. Got a baby coming April 10th, so we're looking to go out with some family to Ohiopyle and run the Yough in August. Keep posting plans though because I have to plan stuff way in advance these days to make sure babysitters and grandmas are in place.

amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote