Old 07-07-2014   #11
cedar city, Utah
Originally Posted by WhitefishBrandon View Post
I couldn't find much on the site for floating the South Fork of the Flathead River. I was hoping a couple of people have done the float and could provide intel.

My thoughts were to rent packrafts, drop a car off at Meadow Crk campground and drive to Ovando and hike in from Young's Pass to the confluence of Young's Crk and Danaher Crk. Float down to the gorge and hike back to the car at Meadow Crk.

We plan to take one day to hike in and two days to float to the gorge. Thoughts?
My old roommate has been putting this together over the years living and pack rafting up there:

Crown of the Continent packrafting guidebook | Bedrock & Paradox

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014   #12
Whitefish, Montana
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
I hiked granite creek to the MFF last year with my kayak and some overnight gear. I thought it was a great trip and was much cheaper than flying in. If I go again it will be higher water and with a plane but I understand the pack rafting experience isn't the quite the same thing. Could be just the trip you are looking for. At low water you will find slot moves and not much that could be called CL IV. I remember excellent scenery, stunningly cold and clear water and some bug. Also lots of bear tracks and scat on the hike in.

Granite itself didn't have much gradient but had consistent log jams from the recent burns that line the upper granite basin. I read somewhere about the creek being used to access the river but it would take something big to floss that creek as it sits now.

MFF will offer more CL III than the SF option I think. Best of luck.
Thank you for the message. I am new to packrafting and really it's only to get into areas that you cannot with a raft (I.E. Schafer Meadows MFF and Bob Marshall SFF) via car. I am planning to fly into Schafer next year with my raft and can't wait to see that stretch of river.

WhitefishBrandon is offline   Reply With Quote